Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FUEL INJECTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Apr 6, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

IM THINKING ABOUT CONVERTING MY CARBORATED 350 TO FUEL INJECTION I CURENTLY GET AN AVERAGE OF 13 MPG, HOW MUCH WOULD YOU GET WITH TBI, AND IS IT WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN I.E. FUEL GAINS AND POWER GAINS. ALL THE KITS IVE SEEN ARE $1000

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

You may want to check your local salvage yards. I just bought all the TBI system for $143. I am waiting till my TBI swappers guide gets here and I plan to start right away. If I find any useful info, I will let you know.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

3. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

You get 13 mpg (average) w/ your carburated 350? That sounds darn good to me. I have an 87 K5 (TBI), and the best I can get is 13.5 mpg. On the average I get about 11mpg.

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I get about 11 mpg with my 88 jimmy. My uncle gets 18-20 in his 90 2wd burb and he's got a lead foot, I think I need to look his truck over to find his secret! I really miss cheap gas.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

You may look into TPI instead of TBI. Try out your local salvage yard, you can usually find a camaro with the complete setup for a half way decent price.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ditto what K5 Junkie says........if you're going through the work to convert, go TPI, it is much better performance wise and mileage wise. Lots of trick upgrades to them too. Did the TPI conversion last year on my 406 in a 79 K5 and am very, very happy.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What other vehicles can you find with TPI?
    Boss

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Don't know them all, but the fullsized Caprices/Impala SS (good luck finding one of them in a boneyard), think all V-8 Camaro's through the late eighties/early nineties, Firebirds/Trans Am's, Corvettes (of course). DON'T quote me on these, I am just guessing.........but for sure the Z-28's and IROC's have them........that's what mine is.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

9. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

My '89 Blazer gets roughly 17 mpg on the highway with TBI. Of course that dramatically drops when I drive around town on the weekends, but it's worth it especially at the price of gas now!!

Chevy's RULE!

10. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

If properly carb is properly tuned the TBI or TBI will not add any noteable fuel economy.
    Either will help cold starting and running and if used with O2 sensor feedback will add increased atitude and altitude performance.
    If you go GM stock it is matched to engine and not adjustable if you go projection it is adjustable.

Milage is dependent on vehicle weight rear end ratio tires driving style and transmission.
    A TH400 wastes about 10% power a lock up 700R4 or a NV4500 will ofer sunbstantial gains.
    Fuel injection is a good thing but don't count on much if any improvement in milage.