Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Jan 12, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

How hard would it be to convert my motor to fuel injection? For someone who has done it, on average how much would something like this cost? I assume I could get most of the stuff from an junk yard.

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ] ever helpful /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, what motor do you have boss? Junkyards are funny things, one may want $10 for something when another wants $100 for the samething.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What motor do you have? What year? What kind of FI do you want? There is TBI that was used as early as 87', tuned port from the camaros and vettes, sequential injection from the newer trucks.
    The easiest system would be the TBI but as far as performance it isn't a big difference from a good tuned Q-jet. It is pretty easy to convert an early truck TBI system over to ours carbed trucks but if your motor is modified than you will need a custom chip to make it run right and that can be as much as $500 from someone like Jet. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif TPI is a much better system but a junk yard is going to wan't more for those systems and they are much trickyer to install.

5. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

It is a 350 out of a 1971 Jimmy. It just seem like the carb is always screwing up..or so far anyways. I have heard that holly makes a carb for offroading; anybody heard anything on that?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

TBI is The easist You can convert to but you will need a donor truck with the following:
    Complete TBI system including the ECM(computer) wireing harness all sensors.
    Threaded hole on exhaust for 02 sensor
    A TBI style distributor/coil.
    Fuel pump for TBI(either stock in tank or aftermarket inline) and fuel return line back to the tank.
    There are aftermarket systems made that range in price from 800-1200+ for TBI to-$2000+ depending on what kind of system you want TBI, MPFI,TPI ect.

If your Carb is bad you might want to look into a Q-jet replacement from Jet or Edelbrock. Q-jets are the best carb for off road.

BTW looking at your name. steedalx. Do have a Mustang also?

7. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I have a 1998 cobra...used to have a 1993 LX.