Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Oct 4, 2004.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm wondering if any of this stuff will help my mileage, and/or keep my hunk of crap on the road for any longer.

Do you guys use this stuff regularly?
    What brand?
    Does it have any downsides?
    Do I need to buy premo gas at the same time?

Damn furds.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I forgot to ask--

What about oil additives? Stuff like noise reducer (I have a lot of little rattles and clanks)?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

for FI cleaner, I always have used the lucas brand. Ran it through when i had my 350, could tell a little difference in how it idled afterwards, just seemed smoother. Recommended to a friend w/ a early 90's t-bird he said same thing I did after he ran it through.

As far as oil additives, I dont like em, jsut thickens the oil too much, and on startup will keep the bearings from getting oil quick enough, which will cause more damage.

4. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

You ever tried Sea Foam? I have had some good results with it!

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

What's SeaFoam? And where can it be had?

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i've used the lucas as well. i didn't really notice anything dramatic. my mileage fluctuated too much to ba able to tell. but when i worked at advanced auto parts, the other employees said that was what they used.

7. chromewontgetyouhome

chromewontgetyouhome Registered Member

You should be able to get sea foam at napa or auto zone. I used it on my truck, which is carbed, just pour it into the carb, let sit for about 20 min, then fire it up and wait for the smoke show (Wow, does carbon build up smoke!!). Does a good jod of cleaning all the build up, and gets rid of those sticky butterflies. I also use in it my other car, which is fuel injected. I take a old soft tooth brush, take off all the intake crap, scrub it out. I also pour a small amount down the throttle body. The bottle doesnt have any warnings on it about using it on a f.i. motor, but I go pretty easy on the amount I use. This sh!t is pretty versitile too, you can add it to your crank case, and/or gas tank too. Price aint to bad either, about 6 bucks for a quart. They also make this stuff called trans flush, for automatic trannies (Bottle also says that it can be used to douche out your power steering system). Used it on my 350 before I changed the gasket, did a good job of cleaning all the crud out of the transmission. Mofo runs like a dream now.!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Beryman's B-12 The liquid additives to the gas and the carb/throttle body spray when needed....I wish I would have taken pic to show people I hadn't pulled my carb down in over a year but i use that beryman's B-12 about once a month in the gas and the bottom butterflies looked better than new, no deposits anyhere I was pissed I pulled the carb because had I known the bottom butterflies looked like that I'd have left it alone...

I use marvel mystery oil, every oil change, last motor I changed internals on as upgrades the O.E. stuff looked flawless....

My .02 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif