Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Issues, I think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larsfrog, Sep 14, 2004.

1. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

I was driving my 86 K5 305 (no modifications all stock) to work today and all of a sudden my car bogs down and will not idle or drive correctly and stalls once in a while. When I try to drive, it feels as if it is bogging down all of the time with absolutely no power. I can drive it, but obviously not very fast and if I hit the gas it goes very slow. Over the past couple of weeks I have been noticing if I punch it when it is cold it stutters a little but then pulls out of it, but when engine is warm it accelerates fine. I have no clue what this may be hopefully something simple? Could it be the fuel pump? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: HELP

I'm no proffesional but that is exactly what my 87 S10 blazer is doing, i just replaced the fuel filter and it helped none so now i'm going to replace the fuel pump i'm pretty sure that's what it is but there are never any garauntees.

3. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

OK, I checked to see if my fuel pump was operating correctly by allowing it to pump for 15 seconds and measuring the amount of fuel it pumped during that period of time, the manual says at least a 1/2 pint but my fuel pump registered in at ~1 pint. Now my car still runs bad and barely even idles, so I am pretty sure it is not a vacuum leak because I checked them all. Could it be bad gas, that has never happened to me but I guess it could happen? What about carburator problem, it seems unlikely because it just happened all of a sudden not something that slowly reared it's ugly head. Please any input would be great.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you have one of those POS computer controled carbs it may be your fuel enrichment valve thingy.
    When was the last time you did a tune up? Module,plugs, Cap wires.?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd check for water in the fuel--we have had a lot of poor quality gas around here lately--my truck was acting up with similar symptoms,I siphoned some gas out of the tank trying to keep the siphon hose near the bottom of the tank,and put it in a glass jar--sure enough,after it settled for awhile,there was about an inch of swamp water at the bottom of the glass.The gas station I last fueled up at had no other complaints(at least they wouldn't admit it)but other customers said they had some trouble too after filling up there.I siphoned most of it out and added 2 quarts of denatured alcohol to help get rid of the rest of the water--it runs much better now.The gas station said its condensation from me not keeping the tank full,and combined with the warm days and cool nights it makes a lot of water--sounds reasonable to me,but I'm not sure its not in their tanks--. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif