Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel leak in the engine bay!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jul 13, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Got out after parking, smelled pretty gassy, and I noticed a nice little drip trail leading up to the front of my truck. I popped the hood, and saw that gas had been sprayed all over my engine. I guess that rubber fuel lines doesn't cut it near from the pump to the carb. I need to fix this, but don't just want to relace rubber hose with more rubber hose - I don't even think the old one was that old, but it's cracked all over.

What would you guys suggest putting in there, and where should I buy it? I don't want to spend too much, just need something reliable but wouldn't mind if it looked good too. Just need to go from the stock mechanical pump to the Holley Truck Avenger 670.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Either bend one up with the fitting the fuel pump end, or get one from a junkyard and cut it near the carb so you don't need a long piece of hose. I run the stock one cut with a piece of hose over the cut, so I don't need to undo the fuel line at the carb to change carbs etc. , I just undo hose clamp. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

go to a speed shop and get the braded over lines, then a hellova lot stronger

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It has nothing to do with strength.

GM didn't use rubber because it comes apart with age and heat.

All braided lines do is hide the problem...you'll just end up with rotten rubber lines that have a nice outer sheath on them...which is still permeable. Unless of course your braided lines are shielding a teflon tube, which I doubt many braided lines out there actually do.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3/8" brake lines are cheap but I run rubber anyway.

Marine grade fuel line is double wall and VERY nice and used extensively on many boats.

One of these days I'm going to make another steel line though.

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Braided lines protect the rubber from mechanical damage actually. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think it was just age and heat that killed it, though it couldn't have been more than a couple years and 5000 miles. How hard is it to make a steel line? Any special tools? What do I buy and where could I get it? I don't think I'd find much at a junkyard, around here anyway.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know what the stuff is for, besides looks (although why you need armor for carb to fuel pump I don't know) but my point is, if it's rubber inside, all it does is prevent you from seeing a potential problem before the rubber bursts.