Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Leak on Fuel Filter Base

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by TowRig, Oct 7, 2001.

1. TowRig

TowRig Registered Member

I have had to bleed air from the fuel filter of my 1986 CUCV for the past couple weeks and have narrowed the problem to the fuel filter base. I replaced the fuel pump (not the injector pump), Fuel filter, and pressure tested the fuel line from the tank to the pump. The only issue left is a fuel leak from the base that the fuel filter is fastened to which is attached to the fire wall. I havent taken it off yet but fuel appears to be dripping from someware on this unit. Are these prone to problems??? It has some sort of foam covered sensor in the front but other than that I cant see any potential for leaks. Will check back for messages.

Kevin

Ahh.... torquing on a cup of cofffee with the smell of diesel exhaust on the way to work....humm...way to the deer stand.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, the mount was a continually source of airleaks. GM used a similar (but different) filter mount on the civilian models. I've been "told" there was a GM bulletin regarding leaks from the pressure sensor (that indicates when the filter is overdue for replacement) on the back. GM Fix: remove sensor, thread hole NPT, install pipe plug in hole, discard sensor. CUCVs used a similiar sensor but it led to the STE-ICE diagnostic connector under the dash. The Army never address the issue of leaking filter mounts. Army Fix: replace mount.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

My CUCV Blazer leaked so bad it would barely run. I got a free filter base off a civilian sub. 6.2 but sold my blazer before I had a chance to put it on!

Pics of my blazer-->http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86

4. Brian1

Brian1 Registered Member

My dad has this problem on his diesel 'burb a few months ago. A freeze out plug cracked or got misaligned and started to leak diesel. It got to the point where it was leaking quite a bit and extremely hard to start. We tried to tap the hole where the freeze out plug was but couldnt because part of the freeze out plug was stuck in there. We bought a new one but chevy decided to change the design and leave a critical valve out of it. We installed it (without knowing about the valve missing- the service guy insisted it would work) and started it and fuel started pouring out of the filter base because of the missing valve. After many trips to the chevy dealer and a diesel shop it was determined that all the bases made are like that and it was not a defect. So we had to buy some fuel line and a brass valve from napa and make our own valve for the new fuel base. Also we had to use shims to space it farther from the firewall because of the new design that hose hose fittings pointing directly towards the firewall. It is working good now. BTW- it is an 1988 Surburban.

Brian
    Albuquerque, NM