Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Sep 10, 2006.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

On my way to the races last night, I discovered that my truck was dumping fuel all over. After a brief inspection, it appears that it is happening somewhere under the "black cover" above the manifold. BTW, I have a 96 F350 PSD. My truck still runs fine, so it is getting fuel. It's just that I've only driven 24-ish miles & have just gone through about 9 gallons. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how hard of a fix this might be? I've never worked on a diesel, but I can do most any standard maintenance items on a gas engine, to include tune-ups, exterior component (alt, starter, water pump, etc) swaps, etc.

I don't really have the $$ to pay someone, but I'm hesitant to dig into my diesel.

TIA!!

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

It sounds like its leaking from your fuel bowl dump valve. If you look behind that cover there is a valve with a yellow handle. Try and open the valve and dump your fuel close it and do the same thing a second time.

On all my Strokes I have had to do this I think the seal just gets dry from not being turned.

Hope this helps

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bo. I'll give that a try. I thought maybe an o ring or something went bad. The dump valve make sense as I just turned it for the first time a few weeks ago.

Does it just need to reseat, or does something in it need to be replaced?

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status