Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Leak?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Sep 10, 2006.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I have a 96 F350 PSD. It appears that there is a pinhole leak at the bottom passenger side of the fuel filter assembly.

Is this a sign that something else has gone?

Do I need a new fuel pump? Fuel filter assembly?

This is the first diesel I've worked on, so unsure. Need to get this fixed today so I can get to work tomorrow. TIA!!!

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Here are some photos of what I found. Appears to be a hole from the bottom of the fuel filter assembly.

One is a not so focused close-up. The other is a clear shot. You can see the hole directly below the water drain vole outlet (black thing).

Looks like I need top call the dealer tomorrow :(

96 F350 Fuel Assembly 001.jpg

96 F350 Fuel Assembly 002.jpg

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

JB weld it and off to work you go. Order a new one latter when you have time and budget it. :D

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I was very hesitant to use JB weld. The guys at both auto parts places said to us it. I figure I'll check the cost & availability of a new one first. I already have a way to work this week, is that's not an issue.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I found the part # I need. It's Ford # F6TZ-9155-A. The dealer wants a fortune Anybody know where I can get one cheaper? I can't find one online.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

they make a fastweld specifically for fuel tank use. I used it and a quarter to patch a hole in an alluminum tank on one of our trucks, no problems yet. Can't remember what the name of it was though.

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

After about 3 hrs of research over the past two days, I dicovered that this can only be purchased via the dealer. And, since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile (or give to brother), I didn't want to chance a used one or trying to JB Weld it. So, I ponied up the $500 (including tax) and bought new. Now for that price, it comes with a new filter, fuel regulater, temp sensor and a few other msic items that I don't know what they do. Now, to put it back together :)

EDIT: I wanted to add that I spoke with the head of a diesel shop in town. He emntioned the main causes of this are not emptying the water seperator valve often enough and having sand/rocks/etc in the bowl. Since there is no pre filter to the unot from the tank, the sand/rocks tend to swirl around & wear at the interior of the assembly.

9. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

crazy fords

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

friggin fords...

Being the cheap SOB I am,I'd have just put a sheet metal screw in it ,with an O ring under its head!..:whistle:

What!!??..I drove a truck with a pinholed gas tank that way for 3 years before I finally had to replace the tank...:wink1:

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I debated about either putting a screw in the hole or trying JB Weld. The hole was actually very close to the rounded edge, which would have made the screw trick a bit difficult. I decided on new for a few reasons:

1 - This is my daily driver. It needs to be dependable.
    2 - This is my only vehicle. See #1.
    3 - By the end of the year, I will be moving using this truck. I'll be pulling 7000 lb fully loaded enclosed trailer for this move & I can't afford to break down in the middle on nowhere. See #1.
    4 - I didn't want to have to take it apart again :doah:

Lucky for me my credit card just went up last month:bow: