Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Level & Performance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chiefKP, Mar 17, 2000.

1. chiefKP

chiefKP Registered Member

I'm puzzled...

As the fuel level in the tank drops so does the engine performance. I get great smooth acceleration with a full gas tank. Then as more fuel is consumed the valves chatter and acceleration stinks.

I have a 5.0 Liter stock engine with a stock four barrel Rochester carb. Nothing special installed under the hood.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Wow, never heard of anything like that. My only thought would be to check your fuel cap. As fuel is used, it needs to be replaced with air by venting action from the outside. If your fuel cap is bad, maybe a vacuum is developing inside your tank causing a lean condition.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

In addition to a problem with the cap that was mentioned possibly a problem with the vapor recovery system. Maybe a vac line is in the wrong place or leaking.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

crap in the tank being run through the engine?
    with a full tank, percentage of particulate matter is acceptable for your engine to operate.
    once the level of liquid drops, percenatge increases.

probably only a half-cent's worth.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I think I would agree with the Delta9 gentleman and remove and clean the tank. If it sat for a while you could have gunk in the tank as well as on the pickup. When full it pulls from the "clean" top of the pickup....as the level is lowered you could be getting to the clogged portion of the pickup....worth a try just to know you got a clean tank and pickup...I did it as a preventative measure on my 86 and did find alot of trash. And it makes a difference on the milage. Just a few cents from me.... [​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Acutally this is the older model blazers way of screaming I NEED 45 MORE C.I.'s OF DISPLACEMENT

Corey
    88K5
    ( Guess they just made 'em better in 88 ) Man, I'm starting to like that one liner!

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The guys are probably right about the cap and the evaporation canister. First unplug your canister to carb line and check for liquid fuel in your canister.......it might have to be replaced if it's full. Another trick to let more air thru your venting gas cap is to drill a 1/4" hole right thru the cap. Just be cautious when taking hard turns right after you fill up...............