Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel lift pump ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ronny.f, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ronny.f

ronny.f Registered Member

Hello !

How much diesel should a fuel lift pump deliver at idle speed. I wonder this because i had starting problems sometimes with my truck and now it wont start at all. I removed the fuel lift pump and it was completely dead.
    The startingproblems came when the engine was 3/4 fully heated up. Any ideas about this problems. Could it be the injectorpump ??.

/ Ronny

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I think we need a little better explanation of whats going on here. When EXACTLY does it not start? After its been sitting for a while, or on the way to warmed up, but not quite warmed up, are the glowplugs lighting when you have this trouble? Does it start just fine when its completely warmed up? Is it low on power after it does start?

3. ronny.f

this problems comes after its been sitting for a while. the temperature gauge is reding 3/4 of normal temp and the battery power is wery good. The only way to start it is to let it cool down for a while and then start it. My fuel lift pump went dead and now it wont start at all. i will order a new one this week and change it to start with. this symptoms comes sometime when thw glowplugs are on and sometimes when they are off.

/Ronny /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

wow is this a common problem or something? mine is doing the very exact thing.when the engine is cold i fires right up if i park it and try to start it right up it starts but if i let it cooldown a bit it wont start back up again till it has sat for hours /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but as soon as its cold it'll fire right up. 87 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    later,
    Jerry

5. BlueBlazer

Let us know if the lift pump cures it or not.

6. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

i just wemt and picked one up btw mine cost 15$ at advance auto
    later,
    Jerry

7. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

we'll it runs better going down the road but when i shut it down it wont start back /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. my gp light is coming on but i'm gonna test the plugs and wires to see if they are really working and put on a manual controller.what do the diesel gods say?
    oh, sorry for the post highjack
    thanks,
    Jerry

8. ronny.f

Hello !

I have changed my fuel lift pump now and the result is this.
    The engine starts fine both cold and warm, i havn´t check my problems with halfwarm starts yet but a diesel-technician says that this problems is a sign of a worn dieselpump. I will post when i tested my engine halfwarm to.

/ Ronny /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. BlueBlazer

If youve got a new lift pump, and new glow plugs, then the only possibility left is the injector pump.