Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel line fittings and flanging

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gtchief, Dec 3, 2005.

1. gtchief

gtchief Registered Member

Hey all,
    Let me start by telling you all what I have, since I dont think I've posted about it yet. I picked up an '89 K5 with the wonderful black/gold paint scheme. The engine compartment on the this was nice, clean, and oil free; plus EVERYTHING inside works(electronics wise) only thing that isnt working is the A/C. The list of what will be done to it this winter is as follows:
    All new floors
    rockers
    tailpan
    fender
    body bushings(with 1" ORD pucks)
    front rear quarters
    fuel system
    brakes
    doors
    and whatever else is needed to get it all inspectable like

As for the fuel system, I have lots and lots of stainless steel tubing(1/4 and 3/8) so I plan on using that to redo the fuel line. My questions are as follows:

1. Are all the factory bends necessary or just get it in there?
    2. Do I really need to double flange it? From what I understand the main
    reason is because of the seams in the tubing. This stuff is extremely heavy duty and I dont know if I need to be too concerned about seams busting. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for all your help, I'll be joining as soon as I get the cash(blazer money pit) in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

gm fuel lines for fuel injection are not 45 flares. thay are flat lip that hold a oring.

3. gtchief

Since I'm redoing it I figured that part shouldnt matter. I already have the flange tool and figure it would be easier to find the fittings. Does it actually matter? And what is the name of the tool to make the flat tip? Are the fittings then from GM only?

4. gtchief

Alright,
    I think I may have the problem slightly solved, someone just let me know if this seems like it will work.

I'm going to run stainless steel line with 6AN fittings on it. On the tank side of the hard line I'm going to run a female-female into a male AN-oring seal male(14 or 16mm???), from there I should be able to get the factory GM braided line(Is this still available????) to the sending unit. I dont have the front figured out yet, but figure a similar way will be used.

The AN-oring adapter I plan on using is this

5. gtchief

anyone know?