Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Line Leaking, How to Repair?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Mar 17, 2006.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

The return fuel line from my TB is leaking where the hard line changes to flex. There isn't a replacement part to found for this anywhere in town. Being this is a recirculation line and should be running at lower pressure than the feed line, I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to cut the hardine and clamp a repair hose in place of the flex hose. For now, that is the only option that I can think of other than going to the pick and pull and trying to find a good one that hasn't been ripped out allready since almost every '87+ truck I ever see there has allready had the TBI or the entire engine stripped.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Is this back behind the engine, right-hand side of the tranny?

I was (not) surprised to find that my local dealer had the part IN STOCK, meaning that the damn things fail, like the passenger side exhaust manifolds :mad:

Wasn't cheap at like $50, but it wasn't my truck (ex-wife's :D ) ... I did sheath it with some extra hose and some loom on top of that; IIRC, this one failed from rubbing against a crossmember or something.

-- A

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I'm not familar with that setup but I would think that you could do that just to get by until you get a replacement. Double up the hose clamps just in case.

4. BigCountryx

Thanks guys, I guess I'll do this as a temp fix and start searching dealerships to see if anyone can blow the dust off of one.

5. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

you got a napa in town? my napa will make lines i had a 90 K2500 i had to get lines for i would say take the fitting off the tb take it to napa measure length needed,and know fitting size i m guessing it mates to another line right above the fuel filter as did mine , so measure , and they made me 2 about 55 dollars to make them they were flexible , and out of high pessure hose . i would not reccommend jimmy riggin it as tbi has more pressure than to just use a hose un less you use highpressure hose the tbi setup will not like it and can pottentially cause more line failures

6. BigCountryx

Yes, it connects to the line just above the fuel filter on the pass. frame rail. Anyone know what the pressure is on the recirculation line? That is the one leaking. I have replaced it with a hose from advanced auto. I asked for fuel injected fuel line and explained that I was concerned about the pressure, but I'm still concerned. It's in and no leaks for now, but I will replace it as soon as I get a new one. I'll be calling around monday morning.

7. ProJunkRacing

do what i said go to napa and get hose made it is the hose on the right of the tb right?
    i believe it is like 13 psi max

8. BigCountryx

yes, right side of the TB if sitting in the truck. (Passenger Side) I will check NAPA today when they open. Thanks.

How big af a risk am I taking by driving this for a day or two? I don't want to go out in a Blaze of Glory.....at least not yet. I've got the hose clamped with 2 clamps per end. Seem to be good and tight.

9. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

in theory, the return line is 0 pressure, just flow with no restriction(pressure is flow+restriction), pressure/feed line is ~13psi, return is just flow

10. ProJunkRacing

i dunno i rather fix it right and the right fix is "in theory"

11. BigCountryx

Found out my Mechanic / Transmission guy makes All types of Fuel and Hydraulic hoses. Said that He Would have a new Custom high pressure line for me shortly. Thanks for the help guys.

BTW - FWIW, he checked out my current setup with the hose clamped in place and said he would have no problem with running that setup for a few days for sure. The line doesn't even harden up with the engine running (like it would if the line had pressure on it).

12. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

Where can you get a full replacement return line (dealer or Napa I am assuming)... I happened to drill through it mounting my brackets for my 64's.