Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Line Plumbing Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LoggieStyle, Apr 11, 2003.

1. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

I'm converting my blazer to a 99 454 vortec setup, I just got a new tank and sending unit so I am ready to do the plumbing. I know I will have to add a return line for the FI but for the others can I use the same lines that went to the old 350 or do I need high pressure lines or something?

If anybody have any other tips or things I should keep in mind while doing this I would appreciate it. This is my first engine swap.

Thanks,

Logan

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

What are you using for a fuel pump? in tank pump from the vortec set-up? I would use as many parts as possible from the vehicle the engine came out of, as the '75 fuel system was totally different, the vortec uses higher pressure. If you can't get the original lines, get a good look at a similar equipped vehicle and make your system like it, use as much steel line as possible, use double flare connections for any required splices. If you do have to use rubber hose get the correct hi-pressure type hose designed for the newer FI systems.

3. LoggieStyle

It's a new high-pressure pump for the vortec engine. The engine came out of a 99 suburban but I never got a a look at the fuel lines. I'll follow your other advice for now and try to get a look under someones suburban over the weekend.

Thanks,

Logan

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

If your existing fuel line is 3/8" you can use it just fine for the Vortec setup. If it's 5/16", you can use it for your return line and add a new feed line that is 3/8". Typically, you will need to modify the sending unit to provide for a return line by drilling the flange and brazing a tube in for the return.

5. LoggieStyle

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Logan