Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Line Size for a 500-600HP Motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Feb 7, 2001
    I am trying to find out what size fuel line I will need to feed an almost 600Hp BBC. I am pretty sure the factory 3/8 line will not be enough.

Any suggestions/opinions?

Also, can the stock tank be used? Can the pick-up be changed on it. I do not have fuel injection.

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Jan 7, 2002
    You will need to use 1/2" fuel line and an electric fuel pump. While the factory mechanical pump does put out around 7psi, it will not keep up with the volume that kind of motor will demand.

The factory tank can be used but it only has a 3/8" outlet on top. There are aftermarket weld on sumps (for the bottom) set up for the bigger fittings but I found that is was more cost effective to buy a fuel cell instead.

I have run my current motor (w/ 1/2" line) on both the mechanical and electric pumps and the electric one is definitely the way to go. I had a problem with my motor starving at high rpm - the electric pump fixed it. Also if you're going to drive it a lot set up a return line back to the tank, it will help the pump to run cooler and last longer.

Beware! I spent a small fortune running the big hard line on my truck. Good luck!

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
  3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

May 23, 2001
    3/8" aluminum line works fine. I havent had a problem yet in mine.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>