Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel line tpi

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PeteH, May 4, 2006.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

so i took out the wrong fuel line on my truck while doing the tpi swap.
    it had the return line and the feed line to the carb.
    i took out the old feed line (instead of the return line)

can i use the old carb return line(1/4) as the tpi return line? i know most people use their old feed line(5/16) as the return but i'm dumb and took it out. theres only about 3-5lbs of pressure in the return line right.

or could i get rid of the canister purge and use its 5/16 line? but if i do that wont the gases build up in the tank ...how do i vent it?

or could i even keep the canister purge and swap lines...1/4 goes to canister purge and 5/16 goes to return line.

one again..i fubbared.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

to be safe you should just run new line for the return line, when i did mine i bought 25 feet of 3/8 from summit for $20, it was plenty to do both the feed and return line that way i did not have to worry about the old rusty line

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i already did the ss feed line 3/8 with little amounts of the ss braided line. i even finished the return line... but i was looking at it and thinking to myself..thats not 5/16.. so i took my micrometer to it and sure enough it was 1/4 tube. then after a few unpleasent words i went inside and cried to my brotherns.

it was a pain in the arse to bend it all, especially to get underneath all the brackets(engine an tranny mounts) when i made new feed line. it got to a point where i had to bend it after some of it was already mounted because there was no way to slide it in. rrrg

so i figured why not just use the existing for return. but i then took out the wrong line.

i really dont want to bend new lines but its looking like i'm going to have to.. unless theres anymore suggestions.

4. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bumpity bump bump

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get a bendin'!

Its really not all that bad of a job, just see if you can't buy / rent a tube straightener, makes bending the lines a lot easier...

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

yea i guess i'm gonna have to start bending..

..i have a bender and ive done quite a few cars/trucks before. ...i just dont like doing em. I just figured i could use my 1/4 line as return but i guess not.:doah:

...wait a minute..a tube strightener?dont have one of those..

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its not a requirement, just makes it a bit easier to bend. But seeing as you've done it before, it shouldn't be that bad. Only a few very minor bends to make on these frame rails :)