Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Jul 20, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Can I replace the hardline to the fuel filter of the carb with a flexible steel line? Mine is bent flat in a couple of places, it was suggested as being a culprit to the sluggishness of my truck.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you mean a braided line? yes of course. Just need the right fittings on each end. Are you looking at buying a pre-made hose or making your own? If you REALLY want you can plumb a whole car with the stuff but bent steel lines are a little smoother giving better flow(when bent well)

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Off the line a kinked fuel line won't affect the truck, since the carb feeds from a "well" of fuel.

Keeping supply up with demand under prolonged hard acceleration is a different story.

4. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I've thaught about this too. You can plumb a tbi system with braied fuel line? How would it stand up to the elements? Would it be easier to use braied or hard line?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its been a while since I worked on TBI so I can't remember, does it not have braided line?

Vortec trucks use high pressure hoses where there needs to be movement(between the frame and engine) and have no problems with them. Braided fuel lines you buy are nothing more than good quality high pressure lines with the braiding over top of them, to give them a little more strength and cool factor. Like I said before, running steel lines is STILL the better way to go. Just running hose is the easy way out. Remember you will need to secure your lines all along the way, hose will be rub through quickly since its more apt to movement.

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Exactly what I heard. As I'm going through the powerband I do feel a temporary lag. I don't have a lot of experience with the carb'd 350 so I might be expecting too much from it power wise. I can't help but feel it is sluggish though. I'll be trying to get to the fuel line in the next couple of days. I'll post the results.