Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pickups

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, Jan 12, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok we discussed making your own fuel cell in another thread and someone mentioned those holly pickups that don't pickup air and slide around the bottom of the tank, I want two of those to make my cell but have no idea where to get them from. Anyone?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry, can't help you with the supplier.

I just wanted to say that I almost moved this to the 2nd Gen forum but decided to let it stay. It's borderline "fab" related at best, however, I probably wouldn't move a post asking about quality/value spherical joint providers or such. These are fairly similar, so on that basis, I decided to leave it here. But, if posts like this get too far astray, that policy may change…

Good luck!

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gotcha, thanks, still looking for a supplier here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/pics/MP10.jpg

Under fuel pumps on the left hand side click on External and it's about ½ way down the page. They're 13.00 each.

Also from the site: If you need to use a piece of fuel hose inside your tank, be sure it is SAE J30R10 spec hose. That hose is high pressure fuel hose that was designed to be immersed in fuel. DO NOT use fuel hose that is designed for inline use only [SAE J30R9]. It will not survive inside the tank.

The main problem with the Holley system is there are only two pick ups. No matter where you put the 2, you could still be without fuel. To really work you need a pickup in each corner. And for about 1/2 the price of the holley kit you get 4 pickups, not just 2.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thanks man, yeah I have been thinking about it and you are right but it I figure this setup will be better for fuel pickup than just a circle track tank.

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have the Holley kit in my truck. I installed it in my RCI 20 gal tank. I put one in the front and one in the back and then put the foam back on top. It works great, never have had a fuel starvation problem yet. Hardest part of the whole install was I had to change to a #6 an bulkhead fitting so I could attach the barb fitting inside the tank. And since the RCI alum tanks come with #8 an fittings welded in, I plugged one of those and welded in the #6 that I needed and used the other #8 for the return. If you get it, it looks like a cheesy little piece of plastic but it does work. I think the kit cost me 70.00 from a local speed shop. If you do a search over on pirate under fuel starvation (I think) there is a guy there with a pretty nice write up with photo's of the install.