Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pressure gauges?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 18, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Who is running fuel a pressure gauge(s)? I found in-line gauges (1.5" face) for $39. I see that Summit sell "external only" fuel pressure gauges for about the same with 2"+ faces. And an expensive isolator so they can be mounted inside the cab. Also, electrical gauges/units are about $150+ IIRC!!! I originally thought it would be nice to have an electrical with a sending unit on each side of the filter so I could switch back and forth but, now I'm thinking of a cheap in-line mechanical. Only problem is, I would really like to be able to see the TBI pressure (after filter) while I'm running. Since my cab will be open, I'm thinking of just running a "T" off the hard line and mounting one of the cheaper ones on/in/under my dash. Any suggestions?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got one from www.thirdgen.org and do a search on the topic. Lots of guys have done this, and they do it by using sender units. Not sure if you intend to have an actual mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside, plumbed off the supply line, but I don't recommend it for safety reasons.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You do NOT want a fuel line plumbed directly into the cab!!!! A leak there could blow you and your truck to bits. Those isolators are designed to transfer the pressure to the gauge without actually sending gasoline into the cab. Fuel lines, of any type, are forbidden from the interior of the vehicle by every major racing sanctioning body, and for a very good reason. You never want to have gasoline inside the vehicle with you... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. BadDog

The one at TPIS won't work for me, TBIs don't have the shraeder valve. I suppose I could get one and plumb it in, that would make it easier to pop a test gauge on there. I'll search on thirdgen. Thanks for the info.

Russ

5. BadDog

Yeah, I don't like the idea of plumbing it into the cab, but they are bending people over for the isolators and the electrical units. $150-$250 for a fuel pressure gauge? That's nuts. Maybe I should plumb it on a hood bubble like the old hood mounted tachs. Or maybe I'll just stick one in-line under the hood and let it be. Thanks for the advice.

Russ