Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pressure guage question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Feb 15, 2007.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I'd like to add a fuel pressure gauage to my truck. I like the Autometer sport comp gauages. They have a mechanical which is in the price I'd like to spend and the electrical @ 180 bucks. What makes the electric one so expensive? I know you're not supposed to mount mechanical pressurized gauges in cab so am I stuck or just live with no fuel pressure guage? I'm not willing to drop 180 bones on a single guage.

How important are they really to be in cab? Should I just mount a mech on the firewall and be done with it?

thx

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the pressure switch is the big ticket item.

i would just mount it in the engine bay so when you are tuning its in there were you need it. or if you are real picky and want to see it as you run then its electric in cab .

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

you can run a mech inside the cab, but you'll have to run an isolator. it connects to the t-fitting and transmits the pressure to the gauge, without having to actually flow any fuel into the passenger compartment. the isolator is where they get you. most i've seen are around 90 bucks. i'd prefer electronic, but the cost has kept me away, as well. if you go mech, definitely run the isolator. i haven't known anyone crazy enough to run raw fuel right by his dash wiring, but i've seen a few mechanical oil pressure gauges spring a leak. messy, painful for the driver, whose legs are now covered in hot motor oil, and the oil is supposed to stay in the engine.

4. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

OT: just dont install it poorly like my buddy did his, lol

[​IMG]

oops :eek1: costly leak.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

under hood it is. nuts to putting it in the cab.

thanks!