Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pressure q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Jan 29, 2005.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 89 k5 and it still won't pass emissions cause it is to rich so i have planed to swap in all msd ignition stuff and se the timeing i was wondering if i put the adj pressure regulator on will i be able to cut down on pressure in the parking lot and lean the truck out to take the test will this help.:thinking:

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

got the same problem.

will an msd help a rich idle?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, reducing fuel will fix rich idle, or replacing malfunctioning components.

4. dheavychevy38

i checked everything and the only thing i found was the door in teh air cleaner was stuck closed so i yanked it out and put the tune up in it but the emissions place is closed till tuesday if that don't work i am thinking of cutting out some fuel cause everything checks out ok with a volt meter and ohm so.The problem is after the truck is in closed loop and comes down from 2500 rpms goes rich to long throughs a code puts it in open loop and by then i fail teh test.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you going to pass visual (if you have visual) without the stock air cleaner? THERMAC is part of the emissions system, so it constitutes tampering by removing it. FWIW.

Anyways, someone else had problems with the stock air cleaner flapper being screwed up, so I wouldn't doubt more, colder air won't reduce the emissions.

Not sure if it will be enough to pass, but it certainly may be.

6. dheavychevy38

All i did was drill the rivets out remove the flap and replace the rivets with some sheet metal but the heat riser tube is still there. These guys that check they don't care how the inspection goes.I know i can get the cat to fire by sprayins sensor safe carb cleaner down the pcv tube.:eek1:

7. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it is time to replace the O2 sensor when they start to run rich like that. Use only a GM oxygen sensors I have had so much trouble with aftermarket O2's it is not funny.

bigred81

8. dheavychevy38

Alright so i put on all of the ignition parts runs better it was time to do. But if i try to do a brake torque :grin: the truck loads up and then dies.It is also hunting at idle up down up down i checked all teh vaccum lines and everything the only thing i haven't change is the intake gasket but when you spray cleaner around there no change. any ideas>:confused: