Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pressure/TPI Pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SnackPack, Nov 14, 2005.

1. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Got a quick question... I'm trying to understand TBI fuel pressure regulators and the pumps that I can use. I did the afpr mod so I can adjust my fuel pressure, but if I were to go with a camaro TPI pump or a walbro pump which both put out over 40psi I believe, will the TBI's fuel pressure regulator be able to regulate this down to the ~15psi that I need? Or would I have to get an aftermarket regulator?

Also, the TPI pumps are cheaper than the walbro, but do they fit without mods in the TBI sending unit? If so, anyone have a part number and brand of a decent one?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No idea if a TBI AFPR will be able to regulate your pressure the way you need it to, but the TPI pumps do bolt straight in without any problems. You'll need to replace any clamps you have on the fuel system with proper flare, or GM style saginaw o-ring fittings.

No idea about the part number either, sorry.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

not 100% sure either, but i wouldn't see why not,,,any "unused" fuel from too much pressure, just gets sent back to the tank anyways through the return hose.

probably one heck of a cycle system though,,keepin that fuel MOVIN,,, :D

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

You first need to understand that pumps don't produce pressure, only flow. The fuel presure regulator controls the pressure. A fuel pumps pressure rating is the max safe opperating pressure for the pump. The flow rating is the maximum flow in gph with 0-psig outleg pressure.

If you plumbed up your fuel system w/o a regulator, and turned on the fuel pump, the only pressure that would be generated would be from the head loss of the plumbing.

You can easily run your fuel system at 15-psi with either pump. The lower the pressure the higher the flowrate from the pump.

If it were me, I would try to keep things simple and use the pump that does not require any modifications to the fuel sending unit.

5. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Makes sense... so hypothetically, if I have a stock fuel pump and my afpr setting has the spring compressed all the way, the stock pump doesn't have the flow to generate 15psi at the regulator.... probably 13psi or so....

Add a higher flow pump, and you fulfull the rest of the flow needed to generate 15psi at the afpr... or possibly more psi, at which point I can adjust the afpr back down to my desired setting.

Am I thinking clearly? :D