Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel price rant, and a question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Aug 16, 2005.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

ok, regular unleaded gas is now $2.69 a gallon not premium, regular unleaded :mad: when is this crap going to end???? this is absolutely rediculous. fuel prices effect everything, right down to the price of the food we eat (trust me I work at a gracery store) diesel is also $2.69/gal here, my suburban with a 40 gallon tank takes my whole weekly paycheck to fill up, which is about $100.00, if I had a gas engine that got around 10 MPG I would be screwed, THANK GOD I have a diesel, but I still have to fill up every two weeks and I commute 15 minutes each way to work and the occasional trip to a friends house. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

now I have a question, my grandfather owns a construction company and use's "offroad diesel" in his equiptment, he buys it from a place in huntington WV (about 20 mins from me) and yea I know offroad diesel is illegal and I'm not planning on running it so please no "thats illegal, you'll get cought" post's.whats the diffrence in this diesel and regular pump diesel?? (other then being illegal to put in an onroad vehicle) is it not as filtered? can it have any negative effects on your motor? also, how would somebody find out your running it in your vehicle? check your filter or probe the tank for the red color?

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I know a crooked guy that runs it in his new dodge truck with no problem. I've heard that the dye makes your exhaust smoke really badly so that the cops can pull you over, but I've never noticed it out of my tractor. yes cops have something they can stick in your tank and see if you are running it. you can get in alot of trouble running it........... It really ain't all that cheap right now anyway.... you might consider making biodiesel out of Frenchfry grease, lye, and methanol... do a search on it... Freedom fuel america makes a machine that produces biodiesel, but its very pricey.... there are websites that tell you how to make your own without this machine, but it might not be as precise..... supposedly biodiesel can be produced for around .72 cents a gallon, assuming you get a free supply of french fry grease from the local resturants..

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think the only difference is the "off road" diesel is ruby dyed and only for farm use. Its tax free fuel for farmers only. Hence the reason a fine will be slapped on you if you use it......because you're not paying taxes on that fuel. The government wants their tax money, you know? So they try to scare us to NOT using the dyed diesel.

I know some guys who carry big diesel tanks in their beds and use it to fuel their personal trucks. BUT....the only way they could get away with this is if they had a "farm use only" tag on their registered trucks.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I could probably make a lot of money if I published a collection of the world's greatest myths about police.........................

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Mom tells me it's $3.05 a gallon in California.. :eek1: For regular .. :eek1: :eek1:

6. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

You know ,if I had a company that produced something that everyone needed
    and then jacked the public by bouncing the price up by leaps and bounds,the
    gov't would have put me away for monopolizing a long time ago but......
    These gas prices are such a scam. :mad: I will never buy a 4 cylinder.I own a
    2002 Ram Air T/A and of course my 89 K5 and no matter how high the gas prices go I will always drive a V8 :bow:

7. 1-bad-burb

tell us a few, I'm bored LOL

me and my cousin got pulled over tonight, first day in his new car too LOL a cop pulled out behind him and the next road was to my house (where we were going) and we turned, I guess the cop thought it was suspicious and follwed behind us then turned his lights on, only gave my cousin a warning for how the temp. tags were mounted though (in the back window with tape since his license plate screws are missing) freaked him out pretty bad, the cars a 5 speed and when he pulled out he tried to put it in gear without using the clutch, then when he did he stalled it, he also brightlighted the cop :doah:

8. 1-bad-burb

AMEN brotha LOL

I HATE the whole tuner car thing, everybody says, "well its cool to beat somebody when you have 4 less cylinders and 100 less HP" I simply reply with "why???"

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

[hyjack]
    is it true cops eat alot of doughnuts, and put bars of soap in the new guys coffee?
    :rolleyes:
    [/hyjack]

10. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

Actually cops swab the exhaust or dip ur tanks... Well D.O.T. will do that my bad, but at the farm progress show, they were checking a lot of people.. I know a few peeps that run it in their vehicles.. I know a few peeps that have been caught lol... It is a hefty fine.... FBI showed up at my buddies parents place cause they were using it... NOt cheap

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No, but we do say "MEOW" a lot...................................... :haha:

I have some limited knowledge about the enforcement of it because I'm related to some nazi bitch that used to do it. As far as I know, IRS is responsible for enforcement, I doubt that the FBI would go for those types of shenigans.....................................

12. 1-bad-burb

come on come on, spill the beans, what are some of the rumors? like, right now I dont have a license plate light (or mount) should I be worried about this right now or can I wait till I get the time to mount it up right?

13. 1-bad-burb

sometimes I wonder if maybe the cops actually act like they do on Reno 911??? :haha:

I rode in a patrol car about two months ago to identify a guy who stole a register at the grocery store I work at, the cop was pretty cool, and funny, I got alot of strange looks riding in the back of a cop car though :( the CVPI's do run pretty good too, I would LOVE to have a 9C1/LT1 caprice as a daily driver, call me weird but I would rether have a real nice 9C1 caprice then a z28 camaro LOL

14. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Just because you have a 4 banger dosen't mean that you are a ricer. I got a stock 95 s-10 2.2 5 speed. I don't hold up any traffic.

15. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

off road diesel is dyed red for taxation purposes as mentioned earlier but isnt it also a higher sulfur content?

i know that sulfur in diesel fuel becomes converted into sulfuric acid during combustion(in small quanities), but at what point does this adversely effect your engine?

would more frequent oil changes be enough to compensate?
    obviously higher sulfur is bad for the enviroment, but what are the percentages in on road and off road?

with the new 2005 heavy truck standards is it even possible to run off road with the finer particulate filtering exhaust systems?(in a semi)

in tenn there used to be a "Commercial Vehicle Enforcement" division of the TN Highway Patrol, and every CVE Trooper i ever talked to carried a dipstick with basically a test tube strapped to it.

in the three times i was stopped in a commercial diesel they dipped the tank and/or inspected the filter/water seperator, and one was in GA.

but they have since rolled CVE back into the THP and now there dont ever seem to be troopers doing roadside inspections, but i drive less now so maybe i dont notice.

although i have noticed that the words "Do you boys like Mexico" amuse LEO's and drug addicts equally well... atleast they have something in common.

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

off orad is untaxed for offraoad vehicles. can run in anything not on the road. like tractors or buggies or offroad only trucks. use it in farm tractors as well as backhoes. bullzdozers too around here. i had thought about runnin it too. but i really need to get motivated again and make a test batch of biodiesel :D

17. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

This is what I know

The cops do go and check tanks on trucks but all they do is check the color

I herd that you dump a galon of diesel oil drained from your truck in your tank it changes the color enough to get a neg result

Higher sulfur content is better for the motor and also gives you more power and also lubes the internals better kind of like lead in gas

Yes if you do get cought be prepaired to be bent over dry by the feds

Home heating oil also works good in a diesel to

18. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you run offroad diesel in you personal truck no cop in the world is going to pull you over and check to see. I'm sure they other things to do. The main enforcement comes from DOT and its directed to semi's. Can you even stick a test tube into a pickups fuel tank anyway ??:confused:

19. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do not worry about law enforcment checking fuel on a passenger vehicle :haha:. The only people that get checked for fuel type are commercial trucks. When I was an Over The Road (OTR) driver "Smokey the Bear" would check my tanks during D.O.T inspections at weigh stations to make sure I was not cheating "Uncle Sam" out of his share of my profits.

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

The difference between on / off road is the sulfur content. Sulfur does two things in an engine.. it provides the lubricity needed by the fuel system, and it retards the growth of bacteria, fungus and yeast in the fuel.

Presently, on road fuel has 500ppm sulfur, off road is 3000 ppm. In june of 2006, on road goes down to 15ppm nationwide, off road goes down to 500ppm.

Why are they reducing sulfur?

Sulfur does produce an acid upon combustion, and this acid is a building block of smog. ( NOx emissions, to be specific )

In addition, high sulfur content will poison the next generation of exhaust treatment emissions devices mandated for heavy duty diesels.

To answer another question, the higher sulfur in the fuel won't hurt you, but you might run into a problem if there's water or sediment in your grandfathers bulk fuel. suppliers can call any fuel they want " premium" ( there's no standard for the term ) and charge top buck for it, so it's possible to get basically bunker fuel with a low btu, and your mileage will be worse than when you started.

Anyway, June of 2006 means a whole new world of cost and diminshed performance for you and your grandfather's diesels, thanks to the EPA.

Tom