Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Prices in your area??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Oct 9, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I know the topic is getting old, but I am really trying to figure out how the oil companies can charge more for #2 pump diesel than they do for Premium unleaded, when #2 diesel is what's left over after making gasoline (in a kinda sorta messed up way.)

Anyway, Unleaded is 3.09, mid-grade is 3.19, premium is 3.29 and diesel is 3.29-3.69 depending on where you are in Wisconsin... it's sickenning.

I'm actually glad I haven't done my 4BT swap yet because I'm currently doing far better with regular gas in my POS car than I would be even with the great mileage of the 4BT in my Blazer.

Now I just have to find an insurance company that won't rip me off for insuring the damn thing.

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

$3.07 for 87

3. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

$1.25 for 110 oct. :rotfl:

4. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

in central CT its 2.74 up the street from me for 87

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

2.89 in Fairbanks, AK, 3.19 in Ramona, CA. Everything else is more expensive in AK though.

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Diesel isn't really a by product of making gasoline, it depends how the crude is cracked during the manufacturing process. You make it sound like the only reason we refine oil is for gasoline. Why is diesel high right now? Whats the weather like outside? lots of heating oil tanks getting filed up this time of year.

Most i've seen diesel for around here is 2.99 a gallon. Almost any newer car will get better MPG than any diesel truck.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK Erik, has it been winter for the last 8 months? Has Diesel fuel been more expensive than gasoline for the last 20 years or is it also a recent phenomenon? How about when crude prices move up $2 a barrel and they raise gas and diesel prices 20 cents a gallon the same day...then when crude freefalls all week long the prices stay where they are?

The oil companies are butt raping everyone collectively...and raking in profits that would make a loan shark blush. Sure I think they should make a good profit, but what they're doing is risking throwing us all into recession so they can look like superstars to their shareholders.

Rene

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

If it hits 5 bucks a gallon, you are going to see a depression in the US that will make the depression of the 30's look like a cake walk. We're poised for a big crash.

The best we can do is to reduce demand of gas. If we are buying it bigtime by filling up our SUV's for 80 bucks a tank, we're just making the price go up. Conserve is the answer, right now anyways. No, I ain't no tree-hugging eco-terrorist, but get creative with your commute, prices will come down. I went from driving a dually 60 miles a day to driving a 99 Corvette, and I'll tell you right now it's saving me 200 bucks a month which is half my corvette payment. If I was any less vain, I'd buy a used civic or something and probably be driving it for free!

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

2.79 for regular. 3.29 for diesel.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

People said ths same thing about it hitting $3.00/gal.

I don't know if I would be patting myself on the back for going from 10mpg to 19 mpg and advocating "reducing the price of gas" in the same sentance. i have nothing against conservation, just that everyone wants me to conserve while they drive sports cars and suv's.

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I thought it was about $1.34

12. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

$2.69 for 87 state college pa

13. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Soutestern WA.

Reg. is $3.05

Diesel is $3.20 :eek1:

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

$2.59 gal for 89 in IA

15. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

$2.82 reg on Saturday 10/08 in Long Beach, CA.
    Drove by the next day and it shot back up to $2.95 :eek1:

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cleveland/Akron ohio is 2.74 for 87....diesel 3.19.

17. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Rene, I do think they oil companies are making a heafty profit and no i don't buy the instint increases at the pumps when the crude oil prices shoot up. However, diesel prices to me locally have just went up over the prices of unleaded. Here in the states we actually just had a waiver where you could buy undyed diesel fuel for your street driven vehicle becuase of the shortages. World oil production is up but so is demand, causing the price of a barrel of oil on the open market to increase. I know we all know this just restating that fact. Historically if you look at the prices of crude oil and the price of a gallon of gas, the price of gas has not increased the same amount as a barrel of oil in the same time period. Anyway....sure i would like cheaper fuel. But until the market changes it isnt going to happen.

cheers,
    erik

Rene PM me your shipping address i have a box with some stuff in it for you that i have been moving around my garage for the last 2 years. I need to get it out of here asap.

18. tbill

tbill Registered Member

Here in Houston, gas is $2.87 and diesel is $3.39.

19. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

2.93- that seems to be the magic number here, it jumped .50 cents after Katrina, but immediately dumped to $2.95 because nobody was buying. All through Rita, the following crude price jump, etc. prices have stayed. They found the absolute threshold price here, and I doubt it will lower anytime soon.

20. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

$2.99 to $2.89 over night here in Porterville CA :doah: