Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel problem?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by smprider112, Jul 22, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok so my truck started doing this thing, probably about 3 or more months ago...when I parked with the front end up high like in a slanted driveway, over night. the next day I would go to start it and it would run for a few minutes then start to kinda surge a lil and then die out....then I'd have to like hold the pedal to the floor while I was cranking on it, and EVENTUALLY it would start to gurgle back to life then after some hi-revving heavy throttle /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif it would run just fine....so easy fix right, dont park on hills....easy enough, except now its starting to do it even when the vehicle is level, and hasnt been ran for maybe 10 hrs or more. Now can anybody help me here on what the problem is? I have had a few people tell me its probably a small hole in the fuel line...small enough to let air in but not large enough to let fuel leak....so how can I find this, and how to fix it?? I know if I pull the lines off the injectors, and maybe replace those, I will have to somehow bleed the system out right?? anyways any help very much appreciated and please be very detailed in explaining this almost like im a retard! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sometimes the diaphram inside the lift pump allows fuel to drain back over time and especially if parked nose up. The lift pump design was slightly tweaked in 89 to prevent that from happening.

I replaced my lift pump with a newer 'version' of the same by asking for one for an 89 Suburban with a 6.2. It bolted right up and hasn't given me a lick of trouble since.

Good idea to double check your fuel lines while you're at it though. Prolly an even better idea to do that first, and if everything checks out try a newlift pump.

Rene

3. smprider112

about how much would a new lift pump cost? and how difficult would it be to install?? I have an electric fuel pump hooked up with a toggle under my dash, so that helps to bleed the system when I replace fuel filters...is it the same for changing out the pump? or is it more involved? and if it is the lines (looked at it today and the 2 on the drivers side towards the fire wall look like they are a lil wet/oily) how hard is to change them out?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    about how much would a new lift pump cost? and how difficult would it be to install?? I have an electric fuel pump hooked up with a toggle under my dash, so that helps to bleed the system when I replace fuel filters...is it the same for changing out the pump? or is it more involved? and if it is the lines (looked at it today and the 2 on the drivers side towards the fire wall look like they are a lil wet/oily) how hard is to change them out?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an article at the top of this forum that details how.
    It's just like the fuel pump on a sb chevy, it's just in an awkward position between the frame and the block otherwise not a real hastle.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fix the wet lines first, I suspect that'll fix your problem.

Rene

6. smprider112

sorry for all the questions /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif just wanna do this right the first time...wheres a good place to find new fuel lines? I have looked at a few places online, but most places dont have much for 6.2's /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. tRustyK5

NAPA

I believe they sell diesel specific neoprene (or similar) line. I try to double clamp the lines where-ever practical. It's possible for the lines to leak just enough to draw air in without leaking fuel out.

Rene