Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FUel problems continue, stumped.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ultra Al, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Ultra Al

Ultra Al Registered Member

Im wondering what to do next here. My project is a 1983 K5 Blazer, short block 8, carburated. I wasn't getting fuel to the carb so I first disconnected the gas line to the fuel pump inlet and put an air hose in the gas tank, kind of uses a rag to seal the filler and shot some air in and sure enough gas came out the end of the line. Hooked it back up and unhooked the fuel pump outlet to carb line, cranked the engine, no fuel. Replaced the fuel pump with a new one (PITA!). Still no fuel coming out I have a clear inline filter between the fuel pump and the carb and there is no fuel in there?? How come?? Any suguesstions on what to do next would be appreciated. BTW I can shoot a little starting fluid in the carb and it fires and tries to start. Im puzzled. Also, when I put in the pump I removed the bolt from the engine block and installed a piece of flat spring steel about 1/8 inch wide and Im sure the rod was up besides if it wasnt I would not have been able to bolt the fuel pump on. Near as I can tell you can only accomplish the installation when the rod is up. Hmmm. Al

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Unhook the inlet line to the pump. Put your finger over the fuel pump inlet and have someone crank the engine over. You should be able to feel the fuel pump sucking on your finger.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pour fuel into the carbs fuel bowl and let it run and see if it eventually starts picking up gas. If the fuel pump is disconnected the line probably went dry and the pumps don't work that well trying to move air, so it takes longer to get fuel up to the pump.

4. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

I can only go by what has been stated so far, but are you sure that the fuel line going from the pump to the inline filter is clean and clear?

"Also, when I put in the pump I removed the bolt from the engine block and installed a piece of flat spring steel about 1/8 inch wide and Im sure the rod was up besides if it wasnt I would not have been able to bolt the fuel pump on. Near as I can tell you can only accomplish the installation when the rod is up."

I do not understand this. This could be your problem. Did you replace the rod that operates the fuel pump. you say that you removed the bolt and replaced and installed a piece of flat spring steel about 1/8 inch wide.

It would not be unheard of if the pump was bad.

My 1981 sat for three weeks and would not start up. I too was not getting any fuel to the carb. I replaced the pump and it fired up after a bit of cranking. Fill me in a little more.

5. Ultra Al

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gas in my truck is well over 6 months old, no additives, and the truck has no problem running on it, I doubt you have much to worry about in that regard...I know people have had problems with bad/old gas and so on, it's just never been an issue with my vehicles no matter how long they sit. Within reason of course, let it sit a couple of years and you end up with vinegar in the tank. :)

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the..

Check the main fuel line carefully,all the way to the gas tank from the fuel pump..it has a small section of rubber hose that looks like an inchworm near the tank-(and sometimes more than one too)--often that peice(s) of hose separates internally and blocks fuel from being sucked to the fuel pump,but when blowing compressed air thru the tank it appears normal..also any small pinhole in the metal line will let the pump suck air in,and not gas(if its a rust hole on TOP of the line,it will let air in,but might not leak gas out!)...good luck.. :crazy:

8. gmcjimmy90

gmcjimmy90 Registered Member

are you sure you have the fuel line on the pump and not the return.

9. Ultra Al

D4M, hope it dont come down to that because the lines are connected on top of the tank and, well you know.
    GMC 90 yep, that was the first line I removed and marked it then replaced the rubber line.
    Question, is it reccommended to replace the metal portion of the line with metal, rubber would be a lot easier. Dont know if it is still available but I got some oil line for one of my Harleys from a specialty hose place that had a cloth braided sheath on it and heat resistant.
    Thanks for your input guys. Can't wait until I get this project to the point where I can paint it. Im going to shoot it red, havent decided yet which flames I will paint on it, with a name like BLAZER it needs flames, going to either be red pearl ghost flames, yellow tru fire or traditional hot rod white yellow red violet fade. AL

10. bernman

bernman Registered Member

it seems you have gone through everything, but are you sure the fuel pump rod is even moving? frozen?

11. bernman

bernman Registered Member

i would use as much metal line as i could, even the unions

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

farfetched--but possible..

An unlikely cause could be the cam lobe that moves the pushrod for the fuel pump is flat and no longer moves it enough to pump,or the pushrod could be worn down..seen it in a few rare cases..then its time for an electric pump if thats the case.. :crazy: