Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Problems... SOS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stepsidesmoch, May 27, 2003.

1. stepsidesmoch

stepsidesmoch Registered Member

I own a 1987 chevy stepside, with a 305, TBI injection, 4 inch lift, th400, np208 <BAHHHH
    i was on the way out of my buddies driveway the other night to see a new polaris predator race a motorcycle to see how fast it goes when my truck dies..
    no good, cranks but no gas coming from injectors
    i have so far, replaced fuel pump, fuel filters, re-grounded the fuel pump harness to the frame, replaced fuel system relays, and im just stumped i heard that an oil pressure switch will stop the pump from priming, currently the pump does not turn on at all. to bring you up to things i did to engine>> removed AC because only babies use AC, removed air pump from under alternator... i installed a rebuilt tranny from phoenix hard parts, >th400<
    the truck did this once before but after waiting about 20 min it fired up and i got home, didnt have a clue. i have waited well over 20 min this time and cranked once in awhile to check if it works, the truck is also set up for dual tanks, but only one tank is hooked up and i have made sure that the switch is set for the tank that is in place.. all help will be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

go to the parts store and buy an oil pressure switch for the fuel pump... 15 dollar part...screws into the block... i think near the bottom... probably do the trick..

3. stepsidesmoch

thank you, some confirmation, i will try that 2morrow

by the way for people, im 18, new to the forum, not new to the old model chevy tho, this is my 3rd
    berkshire county massachusetts

4. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

You said you don't see any fuel spraying at the injectors, but didn't mention if you could hear the fuel pump running with the key on. It could also be your ignition module that is toast. I gives the pulses to the computer. To check this just look for spark at your plugs. Another possibility is the injector or ecm fuse.

Good luck

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

gets expensive throwing money at injection problems

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

<---gives his Q-jet a big, wet sloppy kiss /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

<---gives his Q-jet a big, kick out the door....

got almost all i need for a TBI swap... couldnt tell ya waht all i have ethier.... once i get the harnes ill just plug everything into it and see if it works... IM KIDDING.
    i got to go buy a book.
    Grant

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    <---gives his Q-jet a big, kick out the door

[/ QUOTE ]

<----laughs as he hooks his laptop up to the ALDL connector and watches fuel supply, timing, and knock, thinking about how easy it will be to burn an optimal PROM. Also smiles as he sells his Q-jet to fund above dream /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But kinda pointless to replace parts willy-nilly when you can SEE how everything is working, whether right or not.

Seriously though, don't mind the Q-jet at all, but the only way to beat it is EFI. At least Rochester made that too!

10. stepsidesmoch

jeeeez, ok heres whats up
    replaced the fuel pump, re-connected all grounds, replaced filter, replaced relays, replaced oil pressure switch, replaced distributor, replaced cap, replaced plugs and wires
    what the heck is it, what else can i replace im ona replacing frenzie

11. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I dont want to sound like a smartass, but do you have gas in the tank? Reason I ask this is because a good friend of mine spent about 5 hours trying to get his Jeep started when he realized he had no gas in his tank!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

berg

12. stepsidesmoch

yes, plenty of gas, 10 gallons to be exact
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    gets expensive throwing money at injection problems

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ahh all the money he could have saved with a simple test light to verify power at the pump when you turn on the key. Heck could have bought a decent Multi meter and pretty well tested EVERYthing and had a new tool to boot.

Hmmm 3 inches of wire and you can read the codes out of the computer and see if it has any clue as to what happend. Hope the battery wasn't disconnected before reading the codes.

My bet is the replacement pump is bad as well if you find you have power at the pump. It's happend a few times to people on here. They sit on the shealf for a few years and they get dried out seals and are locked up right out of the box.

Looking at the ADSL connector under the dash take a paper clip and bend it so you can jump the top row right two pins together. Turn the key on before jumpin them. Watch the check engine light. THe codes will be blinks. The first code out should be a one blink, short pause and two blinks (code 12)Then a long pause. It will repeat it a couple times then go to the next code.
    Code 12 tells you the ECM is capable of diagonstics mode. No Code 12 and you proabably have a bad ECM.

Get back with us with any codes you find.

14. dyeager535

Guarantee a scanner like an autoxray 240 would have been cheaper than replacing all those parts. Certainly would have been faster.

Would have been even cheaper to take it to an Autozone if you have any local, and have them scan it, since apparently they will for free.

But then that would mean you'd have to buy a manual, and actually use it.

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, automoan does do it for free, just get the guy that you know is the smartest. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif