Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel proof sealant???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poinzey, Aug 24, 2005.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's my predicament at the moment. One of the bolts for my carburetor has stripped out and needs to be repaired(which has to wait for payday to get heli-coiled). It was running fine till today, and now it will barely idle. It's fine once i can get up to speed, but off idle is horrible right now. Is there a sealant i can use as a temporary fix until i can take it to the shop next Thursday? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there's gotta be somethin out there. Or any other suggestions to get my by for a week would be greatly appreciated. :D

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have used the black RTV stuff before but it doesn't last that long and makes a mess

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

theres two of em i stock that are fuel resistant, i'll have to double check tomorrow.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

total hack fix, but JB Weld possibly ???

5. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Lol, i want trying to stay away from the jb weld if at all possible. The rest of the intake and carb are in great shape except for the bushings and that one hole. I think i have a tube of the black high temp rtv in the truck, and don't mind having to clean up later lol. If I didn't have so much to do this weekend to finish moving(and 4 baby kittens that showed up in the hot water heater closet that need feeding now:D ) it could just sit for the week. I do have an O'Reilly's within walking distance so getting a new gasket and some sealant might do the trick till i can get her in the shop.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Aluminum intake???

If the intake is aluminum,I've used Permatex "Stripped Bolt Repair" stuff with good results!--just clean the hole with carb cleaner,let it dry,and you can sqirt the two chemicals together and mix them up good(it comes in a double syringe looking thing) and you fill the stripped hole 3/4 full,and shove the bolt in,and wait an hour or two,then you can torque it down tight!--its faster than a heli-coil--I've used it on carb and thermostat housing bolts in aluminum intakes and it works great..but a heli-coil IS the "right" way,and probably costs about twice as much as the permatex does..

If you have an Edelbrock carb and an aftermarket manifold,you might just be able to use the next hole over from the one that stripped--some are drilled and tapped for both sets of holes!.. :crazy:

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

go to your local marine shop, they carry repair epoxy that is fuel/ water/oil everything proof and can be used on steel/alum/fiberglass etc. it will even set up underwater and i believe be threaded

8. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] Aluminum intake???

Yup...its got an Edlebrock performer intake, but a stock qjet carb. I think if i can clean it off real well i can get away with a few trips on the silicone. Then i can get a heli-coil and put it in Thursday night. I didn't realize it was so easy, but a coworker talked me into doing it myself. I really think she just wants some attention with me working on the house the last 5 weekends or so. :D

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hi-tach, it's a purpleish brush on, can be used in the presents of any fluid

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Silicone sealants are specifically NOT for use where gasoline is present. The gas will turn the sealant into a slimy, jelly-like substance. :eek:

11. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Thats good to know. I had a feeling they werent. Sounds like that hi tach stuff will be the easiest for me to get around here without having to drive 30 miles.

12. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

55Willy, Thanks for pointing me to that hi-tach stuff. It worked great! What other types of gaskets can that be used on? Would it hurt valve cover gaskets, or is it more for the felt or cork gaskets? If not I might have to try that next time I have the covers off.