Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump clicking. Bad Pump or Fuel Pump Rod making noise?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Sep 25, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Today my fuel pump started clicking. Is it the pump going bad or is the fuel pump rod bad? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I only want to change the pump once, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

i will go for the fuel pump !!! anyone??

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

That's what I'm thinking offhand. I think the metal flipper(?) on the pump might be worn causing the clicking but I"m not sure.

Hopefully someone here has experieced this and can save me from doing the job twice because with my luck I'd probably fix the wrong part and have to do it over again.

4. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

wen i changed the cam in my car (267 sb the cam had 4 round lobe on it bought it like that and was running realy bad at idle)i put evrything back together starter up to break in the cam and guess what? it was clacking so hard that i shut it up and i was in the driver seat!! check evry thing twice,no problem. started it up again same thing , started to listen for the sound a bit, it was comming from the front of the engine, maybe a (new) bad timing chain set ?? untif i put my hand on the fuel pump... then i knew what was wrong it (fuel pump)was clickink almost knocking her self crazy!!! bought a new stock carter one and it was ok... for a year until it started doing it again(much less ) then a put a new GM in and is still runing to this date!!!

5. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

Just replace 'em both, that way you only have to do this job once. I bought a new pump and rod today from A-Zone for less than $20.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with the return springs breaking in the pump.
    on the second one I read the instruction book and they stated it was a common occurance and suggested on some chevs the oiling is insufficient in that area and to pack the pump with grease

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yup, pack the pump and cavity in the block where the rod goes with grease. I used heavy duty marine grease in mine. They don't get oiled very well, if at all, so they wear out fast if you don't grease them. Also, the grease will help hold the rod in place as you put everything back together.

8. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys. I will definately pack the new one with grease and get a new fuel pump. As far a the rod goes, how do you change that? I know you need to hold it up when changing the pump but I have no idea how to change it.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

When you remove the fuel pump, you'll see that it bolts to a plate. Remove that plate and the rod will fall out in your hands. Use the heavy marine grease in the cavity and on the new rod so that when you push it up into the cavity it will stay put while you bolt the plate and new pump back on. I didn't grease the cavity at first and the dang rod kept falling out and getting stuck behind the plate! Once I filled up the rod cavity it took me all of another 5 minutes to bolt the new pump on and fire up the truck! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Not a hard job to do at all.