Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump died, then came back to life?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TylerT, Jan 7, 2006.

1. TylerT

TylerT Registered Member

Okay I know that's not possible, but here is what happened yesterday. Got the wife, the kid and the dog loaded up ready to go to the park, and my Suburban would crank but wouldn't fire up, not getting fuel. So I gave it a few seconds, and tried again. This time it wouldn't stop cranking, it even kept trying to start after I'd taken the key out of the ignition. I finally got it to stop and my first idea was to have my wife turn the key and I got underneath to listen for the fuel pump. Nothing. I got started on pulling the nearly full tank and a couple of times while working I'd go and see if the pump was working again. It wasn't of course. I gave up for the night after I'd gotten the skidplate, then the straps and that other skidplate thing that the straps go over. The tank is still on the truck, all wires and hoses still hooked up. I wake up for my paper route this morning, and out of curiousity, I turn the key on the Burb and a beautiful humming sound comes from the rear. I start the truck. I left to go throw my papers, and when I came back home, same thing. It starts right up like there was never a problem.

I don't find any corroded wires, there is nothing getting pinched up there. What in the world could be going on? I've got to go to my other job now. I'll be back in about 9 hours. I'll put the Suburban back together when I get home. Anybody that can give me a little bit of insight on my situation, I thank sincerely in advance.

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

If it kept cranking after removing the key, it sounds like your ignition switch is toast. It does link to the oil pressure switch/fuel pump circuit as well. They are cheap enough ~ $10.

3. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

dittto, its not fuel pump. if it still cranking then it would be ignition circuit , not pump relay. i would start at the column