Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Failure

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 88sub4x4, Feb 17, 2003.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if in tank TBI fuel pump failures are common. I started hearing the pump thurs. night and it crapped out Sat. night. Tried giving the tank a piece of my good old steel toed boot, but to no avail /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Put a new one in this AM /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Bench tested the old one and it started working with just a little smack. Guess it's just a dead spot. I've only had this truck two years and just wonder whether this is a common thing, and if I should carry a spare so I'm not stranded again. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

As with any mechanical/electrical device, fuel pumps can/will fail. It's not really a matter of how often do they fail, but rather how many miles/time you've got on the one in the tank. As far as I know, my fuel pump is the original - and I'm working on 162,000 miles.
    As far as carrying a spare one - ummmm, I'm gonna have to go with a no on that one. First of all - you're out on the road with say 35 gallons of gas and it goes out - what are you gonna do to drop the tank and replace it? Secondly - if you are going to have a spare fuel pump, might as well carry spares of everthing that could go wrong?!?!?! I just don't think it's worth the $$$ and space to carry a spare pump with you. (Don't get me wrong here, I'm all about being prepared - you should see the collection of stuff I have in the back of my 'burb "just in case" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine cut an access hole in the floor of his bronco when his fuel pump crapped. this was mostly due to the fact he'd just put in 20 gallons. he also decided it would be easier in the long run, as the `just in case' for future failures.

-Rich

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Interesting idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...and sounds like a good one if you don't care too much about cutting a hole in you floor.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I got to looking at the pump and it looks as if it may be the original, AC Delco part #'s and all. My truck has 150K on it so I guess maybee it was overdue. The tank had about 35 gals in it, I don't know how much it weighed, but Im guessing 250+ pounds. It was no sweat for the tranny jack, but I guess you do have a point there about trying to drop that on the side of the road /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My floor jack would never reach that high to support it lol /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I hope you put an AC Delco back in!!! Those cheap ones from the parts store last only a couple of months in my experience...

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Every TBI truck I have owned (4 - 2 subs, 1 K5, 1 S10) has had they fuel pump go out at some point. Both in tank and in line. According to JTR and other Troubleshooting articles I have read THE most common failure of TBI is fuel pump, second is coil. I have cut an access plate into my bed on my K5. The only failure I have had that stopped a TBI truck from running has been a fuel pump.