Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump for TBI replacement.. cutting hole in floor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burbanman350, Feb 3, 2004.

1. burbanman350

burbanman350 Newbie

Hey I have heard people say that when changing a fuel pump in there Suburban they just cut a hole in the floor board instead of dropping the tank. I have an 87' burb and I'm about to upgrade to the Edelbrock multiport fuel injection made for TBI motors. I have changed my pump before and have no desire to drop the tank. I must put the high pressure fuel pump in for this new system, and I was wondering if anyone had done this before. So if any of you all have and maybe remember how you meassured for you cuts, please let me know.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well either take 20 min to cut a hole in the floor and change the pump, and have to live with a hole in your floor or a way to patch it back up,

or take a couple hours to take the tank out and do it the right way...Seriously, one the tank is empty, replacing the pump by dropping the tank MIGHT take and hour or two...

Its up to you...you CAN cut a hole in the floor, just don't cut any of the lines/wires going to the sending unit...

Chris

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[hyjack] Can you just plum in a holley external fuel pump into the line on a currently carbed truck instead of dropping the tank? I have thought about going with the edel. MPFI myself on my 85'.[/hyjack]

I would just drop the tank instead of cutting a whole...It isn't all that bad, I just helped my buddy do it on his 87' blazer the other day.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Well either take 20 min to cut a hole in the floor and change the pump, and have to live with a hole in your floor or a way to patch it back up,

or take a couple hours to take the tank out and do it the right way...Seriously, one the tank is empty, replacing the pump by dropping the tank MIGHT take and hour or two...

[/ QUOTE ]
    The problem with doing it "the right way" as you call it, is that loosing the pump in the middle of nowhere is still a small disaster. The access door and an inexpensive Delco pump in the spare parts box will ensure that your back on the move within half an hour tops rather than dealing with dropping and reinstalling a full tank. The access door is a very good mod for any “in tank” truck that is more than a streeter. Also makes it real easy to check the guage sender, test for broken wires, replace dry-rotted hoses, remove bad gas/water, etc...

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh that reminds me the guy who had my s-10 cut a whole in the bed for the same reason.now maybe i can fix or replace the wire or whatever is causeing the gauge not to read..

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

So how bout some measurements so I dont cut the hole in the wrong place /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. I really wanna do this on my burb cause the original pump has 200,000 miles on it. Thx

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have cut a hole over my fuel tank. I just crawled around it and took some measurements from underneath, and then transfered them to the inside. I still ended up cutting one fuel line in the process. Mine is round.

9. burbanman350

burbanman350 Newbie

If your carburated, you don't have an in tank pump. It should not be a problem to do an inline pump

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So how bout some measurements so I dont cut the hole in the wrong place /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. I really wanna do this on my burb cause the original pump has 200,000 miles on it. Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't done it, that's just a thread that I remember from back in the day.