Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FUEL PUMP HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tayven, Jul 17, 2004.

1. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Allrigth,

I should stick to the Body work. SO I changed or tried to change my fule pump and I am having a hell of time with it. SOme one told me to turn the enging over to move that Push rod down a little bit., Should it just go right on or take a bit of work? I think in trying to force it back on I may have stripped the begging of the hole. THe bolt is fine but I can't seem to get it threaded. Would a srew tap fix or work for this? Any body with any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

2. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

I don't know what to tell you about the stripped threads, just hope there not. But as far as the pushrod goes on every fuel pump I have replaced the rod has already slid down once you remove the old pump, and the tricky part is sliding it back up and getting the new pump in. What I have always done is just worked the rod up with my finger and then very fast and carefully slid the new pump in before the rod came down, however if this doesn't work for you, you can try using some thing like a little hacksaw blade to keep the pushrod in place while you put the new pump in.
    Hopefully this makes a little sense and helps. Good luck craming your hands into that tiny work place.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain, I did this roadside when I tried to get my truck home the day I bought it. PITA! I'd go with the hacksaw blade method, and try to find the engine position that allows the rod to go in the farthest. Just be careful! You can chase those threads if you want, might help, but whatever you do, don't do it wrong, and try to get a helper. That's not something you really want to get into. Good luck!

4. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

I was trying to move that push rod by hand and it seemed fixed, Was it just to oily and I did not realize it? How much movement does it have? And is the only way to turn the motor by hand down at the crank? Thanks for your help guys

5. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

Like you said it is probably oily, they have always took a little work for me to get it to slide up too, but with time you should be able to get it to slide at least a couple of inches without having to turn the motor. I don't know if it was just dumb luck, but on the last three trucks i have replaced them on, i never had to fiddle with turning the motor.

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

As far as the rod is concerned; when it slides down you can apply some grease to it then slide it back in. It will hold a little better and will give you a few more sec's to hopefully get the job done.

If your threads are a problem; a thread chase would work to restore them if they are not too bab. If you dont have one, a tap will work ok.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Im sorry, but what is a chase?

8. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Chances are if there is anything stripped, it is the bolts, not he hole in the block. The bolts are weaker than the block.
    Eddie

9. backcountry

10. backcountry

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow.......everyone just stop what they're doing right now.

First, go to the store and get yourself a fuel pump plate gasket to go along with a fuel pump gasket.

Remove the fuel pump plate. The bolts have 3/8" heads, and there are two of then.

Next, remove the fuel pump pushrod from the block completely. Ensure that it isn't scored or damaged from when you spun the motor over to try to move it where you wanted to. It will probably be fine, but check it anyway. If it's damaged, you can get it in the HELP! section at your local auto parts store.

If it's ok, or you got a new one, take that rod, and dip it into a tub of grease. Seems crazy, but just do it. The grease will help hold the pushrod up into the block while you work on it. If you want, you can use a bolt in the front of the block that is about 2" long or so to hold it in there, but the grease works fine for me.

Ok, now that the push rod it pushed up in there, install the plate and the two small 3/8" head bolts. Then install the pump, and put the two 7/16" head bolts into that and tighten up all four of them.

Hook up the fuel lines and you're done.

This is a very easy job but if you don't remove the plate and push the pushrod back up in there you're never going to be sucessful in a fuel pump installation.

12. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

Well, I managed to get the fuel pump back on, but I think I was suppose to move that little rod thingie. I put the Rocker from the Fuel pump over that rod because I could not get it to move and thought it was Fixed. I hooked everything up back up and surprize!!!! IT does not work. I will go home and do what you said to tonight. with the bottom bolts. I saw those but did not think anything of them. Thank you!! I let you know the real damage. Is there a chance I [darn] anything up by putting it in and trying to start it the way I did ? What should I look for?

13. tayven

tayven 1/2 ton status

And if that rod has some scrathes in the top of it, would that bad???