Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel pump installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rusty79beast, Jan 15, 2004.

1. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

I am replacing my fuel pump in my 86 blazer, and it is not lining up against the engine block. My question is how is that piece that looks like a pin supposed to line up in the engine block hole? Or did some other part fall out when i was taking it off. Reason is that when i came back up to school after break it started right up, then idled for about 10 minutes, went to get a pizza a block away, and it died in the parking lot. IF you spray ether into the carb it will run, so it is not getting gas, had it in a heated garage for 2 days, and still nothing, so its not a frozen gas line, when i took the line off the pump the gas that was in the line from the carb to to the pump drained out. any suggestions?????
    thanks,
    Paul

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

That round pin or dowel should go up into the hole at about 45* angle so that it rests on the fuel pump cam and if it's on the high side you might want to turn the motor over a little to get it on the low side meaning the rod goes in farther into the cavity it belongs in to make installing the fuel pump easier.
    Bill

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

how hard was it tightening the pump bolts? sounds like you have the pump lever off to the side of the rod.

take it off and see if the pump lever is bent now. when installing you should have the lobe on the timing chain so the pushrod is all the way up. load the rod up with grease and it'll stay up there for ya while you put the pump in. make sure that pump lever is sitting flush on the rod, meaning the pump is going into the block straight. if it gets angled, the rod will slide off to the side and bend the pumplever as you install it..

had a guy do that to both his boat motors this year /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Disconnect it from the carb and holding the line in a can have someone crank it over.
    If it starts pumping fuel whack the top of the carb a few times lightly in the front with the wood end of a hammer.
    The rod that falls down is the fuel pump rod.
    apply some grease to it and slide it up and the grease will hold it in place.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you mean pump housing itself not meeting up to block then your pump rod is down and not on the heel of the lobe on the camshaft, you need to turn engine by hand until the rod is on the heel, and then pump will set on engine block with no trouble at all, otherwise you will ahve to evenly use the bolts to draw the pump to engine block because the arm of the pump is under pressure and the rod is out onto part of the toe of the lobe of the cam, also you can use a hacksaw blade or butterknife or similar to hold the rod up into block while you set the arm of the pump into the cavity for the arm and rod, chassis greasing up the rod a whole bunch will make it stick into block too usually

sounds like faulty pump if you are not getting fuel from carb, put flashlight down primary barrels of the carb and while looking down the barrels turn the throttle open by hand and make sure you get a good sqirt stream of fuel in each barrel from front corners of the openings, cant miss it, can usually hear them squirt too, if not then you have carb problem, stuck float or stuck main needle or clogged line or filter or less gas in tank than you think, i have run into all these causes in the past on past vehicles i been working on,. if it ends up being stuck float or needle then dont remove carb, i will explain to you how you can rmeove air horn assembly with carb on the truck so that you dont have to disconnect lines and junk, its not that bad to do but if the carb is old and original and neve rbeen taken apart before then you will most likely need to get a basic rebuild kit that costs anywhere from about 12 bucks, up to about 28 bucks depending on year and drivetrain in the rig. reason why you will need this is because you will be needing to replace the airhorn gasket between it and the bowl assembly, because you will be removing the air horn assembly in order to fix this if its the problem,

it is Q jet on yyour rig right ?