Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel pump leaking ?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jun 27, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i go to get in my truck to go to work this mourning and after i started it up i got out to let it warm up. but when i was outta the truck i could smell gas then i see a big puddle of gas and a whole bunch of dripping from my truck. i pop the hood and notice my fuel pump is leaking and it looks like its comin from the seem of the brass bottom to the aluminum or what ever its made of top and its just dumping fuel. what can cause this? its done it before i just let it sit and start it back up and nothin? :mad: WTF

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

time for a new pump and...

Its likely the rubber diaphram has ruptured in your fuel pump,allowing gas to escape thru the vent hole in the casting--it also fills the cranckase with gas too!--so change that pump right away AND your oil and filter,or you risk bearing failure!....the pump might be leaking at the seam where the steel and aluminum are crimped together,but no matter--its junk either way,and needs to be replaced...I would not delay replacing it and the oil change--I lost a good motor that way myself--and a friend of mine had his catch fire and nearly burned his nova to the ground--he was lucky a guy had a fire extinguisher handy when it happenned!... :crazy:

3. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

your friend and the guy were luckey they were able to put it out. usually u cant get a fire like that out and you end up having a car B Q. so check your oil if it smells like gas DONT drive it untill fixed

4. down4thakrown

man that sux, i got on board air on this truck too using the factory compressor with custom brackets. so its really hard to get too. but thats comin off and goin on my rig :D .

5. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

the good part a stock mechanical chevy pump is like less than 20.00 i think

6. down4thakrown

or free if you or one of your buddys has one under warranty at autozone :thumb:

7. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

New pump and new hoses... that can be dangerous so don't even start it till you think you've got it fixed...