Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Jan 21, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

OK guys, Sorry to post in here, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but I need response ASAP and the New Sheet Metal Forum weren't gettin her done...

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif?is, Has anyone done anything to do away with the EXPENSIVE fuel "module" in 97-->?? GM trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Mine is a 98 Z71 and the cheapest I can find is $269.99
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Any ideas?????????

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is that the piece that replaces the traditional "sending unit" on the old trucks?

I recall a buddy needing one for a late S10 that was something like $400.

3. txfireman110

I guess, but not sure. It goes in the tank and they call it a "module". GM part #25314321

4. dyeager535

For that price, it probably is. IIRC the new "sending units" monitor things like tank pressure and so on, all of it being integral with the sending unit. Don't really know much beyond that, why do you need another one? Perhaps there is one thing wrong with the entire unit that can be fixed individually?

5. txfireman110

The one in my truck doesn't do anything /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif....so my truck does not run at the moment /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.....not good /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any ideas??

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The pump and sending unit are one piece and must be replaced as a unit. There is no way around this.

The GM Vortec pumps are garbage and go out quite often, but they must be replaced that way in almost every application, there is no pump that can be replaced by itself.

I know it sucks, but there's no way around it.

7. dyeager535

So I gather the fuel pump doesn't work. Does the fuel gauge read?

If the gauge reads correctly, but no fuel pump operation (you should hear it operate for a couple of seconds when key is turned to run, but engine isn't started) then I'd suspect the fuel pump.

If the gauge doesn't read correctly, and the fuel pump doesn't work, I'd suspect the wiring to the unit.

Perhaps this is a common problem, isn't there another forum thats '88+ here? (not flaming, just can't remember if it's '88-xx or just '88 and newer)

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Most TBI trucks (87-95) you can replace the sending unit. It's the '96 and newer ones that have that assembly.

9. dyeager535

I've never seen one of these things, so I could be way off base, but if it was put together by a human (or a machine setup by a human) it HAS to be able to be disassembled, right? Of course the way they use plastic anymore, they could probably plastic weld the assembly shut or something, and you'd have to cut it to open it...just seems that for that kind of money, someone would rebuild them. Is there no core on these things Tim?

Is it the fuel pump itself thats garbage, or just the whole unit? Wonder if the pump is the only problem, if another pump (earlier high pressure TPI etc) pump could be used as a workaround? Keep the stock "module" in place, but cut the fuel pump out of the equation.

Then again, with OBD2, is fuel pump output or pressure monitored?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No core, nope. No fixing it. Goes right in the trash. That's just the way our society is nowadays. Pathetic, huh?

I have no idea if you could try to retrofit a TPI pump into the setup. I doubt it. Vortec fuel injectors won't even open without 52 psi of fuel pressure.

Fuel pressure is not monitored AFAIK, but the injectors won't even open without the proper fuel pressure, I was told by a college auto tech teacher.

11. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I just put one in a 96 sle. Had the dealer do it. It cost me 600 and some change,(300 for the module, and 300 for labor). The reason I let them do it was, that they now guarantee the module for the life of the vehicle. So if it goes out again they will tow it in and just charge me the 300 labor. One look at where the tank is, and all those skid plates, and 300 labor don't sound so bad. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. dyeager535

If it's lifetime, and problematic, I say let someone else deal with it, of course unless you plan on fixing and selling it.

"Standalone" (TBI/TPI style) 90PSI+/- (stock) fuel pumps were used in many vehicles, so as long as fuel pressure isn't monitored, using a different pump shouldn't be that difficult. Mounting it might be another story, but for $300, I think I could come up with something!

13. txfireman110

Well, Thanks guys for the help. I guess the 14bff/D60 that I just bought for the K5 will go on the back burner for a while /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif,oh yeah, I forgot about the 454 too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Oh, well, at least I get to look at them!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif