Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Push Rod Stuck?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

My buddy bought a TBI Engine from the same junkyard i got mine at. He's putting it in 89 Caprice. Ugly car if you ask me. But anyway, he removed the block off plate to the fuel pump and there is a fuel push rod in there. We tried to get it out but its stuck. When we hand cranked the engine, it spun fine. Is this going to damage his engine? Is there a better way to get it out? Its already mounted in the car. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

2. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Doesn't make sense that a TBI engine would have a fuel pump pushrod in it, but check on the lower front corner of the block, there is usually a 3/8" bolt down there that is threaded into where the fuel pump shaft is located. It's usually there for mounts, but I guess it's possible that it's being used to lock the fuel pump shaft in place. It's worth a shot.

3. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

did you remove the plate that the pump bolts through too?, mine fell out both times I have had to change the pumps on my trucks. Can you push it back into the block at all? I would recommend trying to spin it, If you can then its prolly a bur on the end of it. (If not, then something else is holding it in.
    As a last resort, you could use some vise-grips to get a good hold on it. (Just be sure to replace the shaft with a new one.)

4. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Notice he said "block off plate" It must have been orignally a carb setup, which explains the push rod being in there. Now it's a tbi setup with a block off plate and the push rod wasn't removed. I have no clue about it damaging anything.

5. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

sorry, must-of skipped that part. I can't see any reason to leave the rod in when swapping from a carb. I wouldn't want something that is supposed to ride a cam lobe to be loose in my block. I wouldn't even trust it if it was stuck in there, one good jar and it might come loose enought to hit the camshaft. you could wreck the shaft and blow the rod out of the motor along with your oil.