Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel pump push rod

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lifted95z71, Jul 13, 2002.

1. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

ehy the dude i got my engine from had planned to use an electric fuel pump and regulator a such. now i have the engine and i cant really afford the electric stuff and the engine has no fuel pump push rod. how hard is it to put one of those in? its a 79 350

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's easy. just need the rod, the plate and the pump, with the two gaskets. I found out on my 1940 coupe it is cheaper to get an aftermarket electric pump then it was for the mechanical one with the new rod,LOL

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's really easy. I haven't looked, but i'm sure Summit/JEGS sells one.
    Once you have one, it's a matter of holding it in the up positon while you put the fuel pump on. I use a thin hacksaw blade, but there's dozens of other ways to do it. Even heavy grease will sometimes hold it up for the few seconds you need to put the fuel pump on.
    -- Mike

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you should use some grease anyway. it makes the pump last longer. not anything you will notice but it does.
    grant

5. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

On the front of the block there is 2 bolts right by the pump. Take out the top bolt and get a longer bolt and then lightly tighten the bolt against the rod while you hold it up in place w/ your finger. Sometimes a thin screwdriver will get to it and you can hold it that way. Just kinda wedge it. I have one holding that way right now back at the shop. Its been holding for about 2 hrs. Ill be installing the pump when I get back after lunch. Just dont forget to put the correct bolt back in.

7. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Does the head have to be off to remove/install the push rod? I have a junk block I could pull the push rod off of & give it to you. Eveb if I have to pull the head, it's no big deal cause I'm not gonna be using anything off the engine.

Mike

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

No. There is just a cover on the side that needs to be removed and the rod should fall out. Take the pump off and youll see the cover. Its 2 more bolts and its off.

9. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I took the cover & rod off my junk motor if you still need one.