Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump pushrod - Positioning??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Aug 18, 2004.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

What's the trick to get the fuel pump pushrod in the right position to reinstall a mech fuel pump?

I decided to change the fuel pump on my '85 with a 350 as it has gotten more and more difficult to start it after sitting for a week or so; the other day I changed the fuel line to the carb and it was dry, looks like fuel has been draining back to/thru the pump.
    So I check Haynes, everything looks straightforward; NOT so as it take the old pump off: the pushrod sits below the bottom of the opening, I can move it up/in after advancing the crankshaft by hand, but right now it moves at an angle that makes impossible to actually pull it out. Me thinks this thing ought to pivot upwards at some point for it to point outward from the block? Of course, I can't really get to anything really well, there's heater hose, AC hose, AIR hose, smog pump, starter harness, header, motor mount, crossmember, you name it. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    So right now my game plan is to unbolt everything that's in the way, and then advance the crank slowly until I feel the darn thing actually moving; but is there another trick to it? And please don't tell me I have to pull the cam - in any case, thanks for the advice, michael

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Remove the fuel pump plate, push the rod up in there and put the bolt in the front of the block that holds it, or put a glob of grease on it and it will hold it long enough for you to get the pump on.

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a hole for a bolt somewhere near there that when the bolt goes in it will hold the push rod up. Like Tim said. Or all else fails just use a good glob of grease. It really won't hurt anything.

I haven't replaced a mech fuel pump in aleast 10 years so the details are a little foggy at this point.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you dont have to remove the plate just use a hacksaw blade or a pen magnet for a couple bucks at autozone or whatever, grease works good if you put it on the rod before you shove it into the block, i use wheel bearing greae or whjatever i have around

turn the engine by hand so the rod is on the heel of the lobe on the camshaft so the pump will go all the way onto the block so the bolts are easiest to start, use a 7/16" deepwell 3/8" drive socket

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Just don't do this, though the person who did will probably be the only one to ever figure out how. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]

6. jms

Thanks for all the replies, I'll give it another try tonite.
    Now, this is most likely a stupid question, but shouldn't I be able to pull the pushrod all the way out of the block? Am I missing something here - I just unbolted the pump itself? As always, the advice is greatly appreciated, thanks, michael

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As was implied in earlier posts, there is another plate "under" the fuel pump that is still in place. That's why it won't come out.

The bolt hole that was mentioned is on the front of the block, and if you look, there will be two holes, one above the other, a few inches apart. (3/8-16) The UPPER hole is the one you put a long bolt in to hold the fuel pump pushrod.

8. jms

Thanks everyone for the help, got it figured out and the pushrod is safely held in the up position. Besides everyone's advice which helped what to look for, it's amazing what one can see with the smog pump outta da way.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The upper bolt on my motor holds the bracket for the smog pump; didn't have a long enough bolt handy, so I stuck a thick cable tie in there, seems to hold it just fine. Again, thanks a bunch everyone, michael