Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump pushrod question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Aug 23, 2002.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Warning: Potentially dumb question! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Should the fuel pump pushrod always move freely?
    That's the way it was when I put a new fuel pump on my 305. I'm redoing a 350 that's been sitting for quite a while and the pushrod won't budge (by hand). So, is the cam in such a position that it's holding the rod up, or is the rod froze/rusted from sitting for such a long time? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

just turn the engine over by hand; about 180 deg and then check the push rod. If it seems really hard to turn stop and pull the pump. Dumb question did you pull out the bolt used to hold the rod up during pump install?

3. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

I just pulled the motor out of a discarded project truck and started tearing it down, so no "installation" bolt holding it up (I always use the hacksaw blade trick for some reason, anyways). I'll turn it a bit and see what happens.
    Not to get ahead of the situation, but what do I do if I spin it 180 and the pushrod is still stuck?