Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Fuel Pump Q\'s

Ok, I need a new fuel pump. I read that you need to grease the inside of the pump around the shaft. With what grease and how much. Also, do you use any gasket sealer or just the factory gasket? Do I need to seal it with perma-gasket, if so which color? Also what is the trick I read about for keeping the shaft up above the cam without it falling and being a PITA. Also any other hints are greatly appreciated.

Harley

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Fuel Pump Q\'s

I have never had much luck with the paper gaskets. I used RTV last time and it hasnt leaked a drop. I'd just get some good stuff and call it good.
    As for the grease, you use that to hold the pump pushrod in the block. Use only enough to make it stay put, you can clog the pickup if you use too much.
    I have changed a couple (read: lots) and the RTV works the best IMO.

Hope this helps,
    John

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: Fuel Pump Q\'s

Harley
    I've never used Grease to change a Fuel pump what I have done is but a Bolt in one of the holes on the front of the block when you look down there you will see two holes. one of the holes you can use to hold up the shaft you wont have to use a lot of force to get it to stay.
    About the RTV I use the Blue for just about everything. Now the gasket that should of come with your new pump will work just fine ( At lest I've never had one leak) or you could use both.
    In the past I've seen one of those holes leak oil but it is rare. I even put a short bolt those holes just in case one of them I use for my ground.

Eric