Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COYOTE35, Nov 3, 2001.

1. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

I need help I have an 87 with the in tank fuel pump. I reciently dropped the gas tank to add the ORD 1" body lift. My problem is now the truck wont start. it ran great when i parked it. it starts when i pour fuel into the intake but it seem no fuel is gettin up to the injectors. Several years ago CHevy installed a new fuel pump and cut the wires to the pump, stupid me, when i dropped the tank i didn't mark whick ones go to whick. and now i think that is my problem. any ideas.
    their seems to be a pink and grey wire coming from the truck and a red and whit comming from the tank. i figured the red go together and the whites/grey goes together but no. i also tried it the other way with no luck. the pump usedto run whenever i turn the key but now nothing

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO TEST THE PUMP AND OR REWIRE IT TO WORK?

Whats wrong with big and wide?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check your fuse?

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

There should be 3 wires going to your tank. One is a ground that runs from the frame to a tab on the outside of the sender unit. There is also a 2-connector weather pack. One wire is for the fuel pump positive, and one is for the fuel gauge sender. As for colors, no idea. You could use a test light/volt meter to see which wire on the truck is for the pump (will have 12V for ~2 seconds when you first turn the key to run).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

tried that...no luck

5. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

thanks, but now my question is what wires (from the truck) go to what wires from teh tank?? Chevy cut the connections off and i dont know how to hook it up. I don't wont to try to just blindly hook up wires and short out a very expensive fuel pump. Could you look at your connection and give me a heads up as to the color match? or which wire is which into the tank.

THanks for your help

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

According to the '88 wiring diagram,

Pink = Gauge
    Tan w/white = pump

The fuel pump wire should also be slightly larger (1mm vs. .8mm)

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd