Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am 95% sure my fuel pump is going out. I just drove 1000 miles, and the last 150 were with no power in high RPM. If I punch down into passing gear and get above a certain RPM and have to much foot in the gas pedal it would run then chug then run then chug. I can't put any foot into it and not have it want to die. I checked my external fuel filter when it died on me on I-25 and it had very little gas in it. So I am assuming this means fuel pump.

I know my fuel pump is on my block, and i have a spare so no worries there. I thought though that it said to grease the fuel pump arm though, and I can't remember and if so what kind of grease to use, etc. Any help appreciated.

Harley

P.S. I think I am going to take my smog pump off when I change the pump. I don't need emissions for another year. Will the lake of smog pump cause anything to run wrong on my truck? Any side effects or worries with removing it? Thanks

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My book said to pack the fuel pump cavity in the block with heavy grease - I used wheel bearing grease and plenty of it.
    -- Mike

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Any good hi-temp grease will work. Although I would use something like engine assembly lube or motor honey. Those will keep the fuel pump arm lubed until the motor pumps oil to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as the smog pump goes, my '71 never had one, so I can't help ya there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

there is abolt that runs perpendiclar to the pump after you remove the fuel pump remove that bolt and install one that is about an inch longer take your finger and push the pump rod up as far as it will go hold it there while you tighten the above mentioned bolt until its vey snug not tight just good and snug then install new fuel pump after you get the pump bolted on remove the bolt and reinstall the origanal This is what i do Grease trick works also but I don't like the idea of heavy grease going through all my oil passages and clogging up my filter any one else no abetter way ? that I haven't heard of /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

yellow, the fuel pump does not get a lot of lubrication from the engine oil, especially when you first start it up. The idea with grease is to lubricate the fuel pump until the engine oil gets there. The manual says to use a lot of it and pack the cavaity to prevent premature fuel pump failure.
    The grease doesn't hold the fuel pump pushrod, for me at least. I use a thin hacksaw blade to hold it in place while I out the pump on.
    -- Mike

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay I never heard that before but the bolt trick does work very well I never considered that th fuel pump doesn't get oil like every thing else thanks for the tip /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I have had a similar problem on 2 different trucks. Basically, it would chug as if it were about to die at highway speeds, seemingly when the secondaries were opening.

My conclusion was gasoline. I had been filling up at Sam's Club. No problems when using other gases (I have been able to observe gas mileage improvements with Texaco).

Just my $0.02 worth. BTW, I have also experienced the vapor lock problems even in cooler weather... hammer up I-70 to the tunnels and coast into Silverthorne. Barely keeps running when I hit it to start up the next hill. Also happened after a long high speed drive and stopping to fill with gas.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Putting on an electric pump can solve some of the vapor lock problems as well as running a non ethanol fuel. Lots of good points to electric fuel pumps. My favorite part is takin' that push rod and hurling it as far as I can. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No worries about proper lubrication either. Hook the pump to a switch and hide it in the cab and you got the poor man's security system. A would be thief may only get a block or two until the float bowls empty out and then he is gona just leave it rather than try to figure out what went wrong. Some say better gas mileage, It makes sense but I didn't see much of an improvement. Maybe a fraction of an MPG. Same in the horse dept.