Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jan 21, 2001.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is there any special trick to get that pushrod up? I know I need to grease it up so it'll stick temporally, but its resting against that plate that's behind the pump and I cant get a hold of it mainly cause I can only get one finger in there. Do I need to take off that plate?? Thanks

Murphy's Law :
    "When you don't know what your doing, do it neatly."

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On the front of the block there is two bolt holes. On mine they hold the smog pump on. On the upper one you use a slightly longer bolt. It will reach to the rod. You push up the rod and tighten the bolt down. Not extremly tight just enough to hold the rod up. And make sure you put back the other shorter bolt when done. I carry a spare fuel pump and that slightly longer bolt just for that reason...

Become one with nature........Then marinate it...

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i just use long needle nose pliers but i like the longer bolt trick

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you ever had to change a fuel pump out in the middle of nowwhere and in the snow. You'll find a easier way to do it........LOL. I just bought this blazer and already had a new two week old fuel pump go bad..A electic pump is 4th on my todo list.......

Become one with nature...........Then marinate it..

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That plate is nothing special - just four bolts holding it on.
    WHen I replaced my fuel pump, I used a cheapie hack saw blade to hold it up as I slipped the fuel pump into position.
    -- Mike

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you got some latex gloves then wipe the rod off and the gloves should have enough grip to slide it back up, try spinning it as you work it back up into place. Once you get it back in place you can stick a long screwdriver in front of the rod to keep it from dropping while you get that bolt in.
    Now not all blocks have that bolt. If it has it you will have 2 bosses on the front of the block. The top boss will be threaded and have a short bolt in it. You need to pull that bolt out and pull a bolt in that has about an inch of threads. Some blocks have both bosses threaded for accessories like Air pumps. The newer blocks that were set up for FI may not have either boss threaded.
    Just before your ready to put in the new pump you want to wipe the seal surface clean with some break cleaner on a paper towel. This will help make a good leak free seal.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>