Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77fixer, Jan 19, 2003.

1. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

My truck has started cutting out unpredictably. It would die then restart for about 10 seconds, I made it home the other night a couple hundred feet at a time for about 20 miles. I pulled the filter when I got home (left my tools at home) and it ran with no problem. The next day I bought a new filter for the carb and a clear inline filter. Last night it died and wouldn't restart.

I did notice that after I put the clear filter in that it never filled with fuel and the fuel seemed to sporadically squirt into the filter. Does this sound like a fuel pump? I was told that when a fuel pump goes, it just dies, no screwing around. Will a pump go weak before it dies?

Does anyone know if the pump off a BBC and SBC are interchangeable. They have different part numbers, but I haven't got them side by side for comparison yet. Would the arm be longer on the BBC pump? The "bowl" is deeper on the BBC pump, does it just move more fuel. Is the bolt pattern the same? Both have 1 line in and 2 out. BTW, the BBC is an 80 and the SBC is a 77. A new pump is only $11, but I am curious.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well the fuel pump could just die if the diaphragm is torn, but sometimes it just starts getting weak from wear on mechanical linkage which makes less travel = less volume pumped.
    If the filter was dirty and clogged it could have hurt the pump.
    I don't know about BBC pumps, all I have dealt with is SBC.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I would say just go with the SBC pump. like you said, its just $11. Why would you want to go with the BBC?

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

The fuel pumps will not interchange. Fuel pumps can get weak over time. Also only run 1 filter. All you are doing is restricting the flow with 2.