Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump quit! Got one??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jul 22, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Went mudding today and cliff jumping at a sand pit near the north side of Wichita. We were all having a great time and I wasn't going to plan on mudding, but the guys started to through mud at my truck. I figured it was muddy now, so what's a little more going to hurt right?? While I was going through the mud, my Jimmy would die. It never sputtered, etc. It just up and died. I would try to start it, but nothing happened. I waited a few minutes, tried again and it would start. I kept going and it started to get dark, so I told everyone that I was going to head home. On the way home it died a few more times. I thought maybe it's out of gas, so I rolled up to the pump and put $5 in the tank. I got a block away and it just up and died again. With the momentum that I still had I pulled into this driveway. I sat there and tried it a few times, finally after about 30 minutes of dinking around with it I went up to the door and asked if I could use the phone. This older lady who was just extremely nice let me use the phone. Called my uncle, and he came to tow me home. I was about 6 miles from home and he got me home. When I got home, I noticed that the fuel pump wasn't coming on when I would turn the ignition on. Now the real problem, I don't have the $350 to fix it. I'm out of a vehicle and The BEAST has to sit. If anyone knows where I can get a brand new pump for real cheap, let me know. I'm pretty desperate too. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

$35.95 at my local "Farm and Fleet" store. I've also got a couple of hardly used ones sitting here. All you have to do is remove your tank and swap the pump. If you are really desparate, drop me an e-mail at realsquash@yahoo.com and i'll hook you up with one for shipping cost..

Make sure that you check out the fuel pump realy first by checking the output wire to the fuel pump (can't remember the color, maybe purple?). And remember that when you turn the key on, the pump only runs for a few seconds and shuts off. Actually, the best way to check is to remove the relay and stick an ohmmeter on it.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Damn dude. I have seriously got to fix my driveshaft and go offroad with you fools. Sounds like fun. Who did you go with? Anyways, give me a page or something and maybe I can help you throw on a new pump.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

Klunky what would we do with out you?! I went with a couple of my friends that go to North and are in the Ground Pounders. I went through everything they did, but in 2 wheel drive. They were using 4x4 just to get dirtier. The way it's going, looks like I'm probably not going to get that front driveshaft built for a while. Later

Alex

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Which trucks were they? I've been seeing a lot more of the Ground Pounder trucks around town lately. It sucks, I haven't driven my Blazer for about 5 days because of the rain every night.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

It's a bright blue Chevy short bed pick-up with 8" lift and 38" TSL's and the other one is a bright blue Toyota pick-up with 7" lift and 35" BFG A/T's. The Toyota has a roll bar in the back with 4 KC lights. I think they were going mudding today down in Oxford. They wanted me to go, well guess I'm not going huh??

Alex

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The fuel pump is only about $60 from the dealer. If you have to replace the sending unit (they sometimes rust really bad), then you are looking at $300+.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

I wish that was the case. The dealers tell me that you have to buy the whole unit and that they don't just sell the pump.

Alex

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Trt these guys : www. wrenchead.com . 87 blazer replacement part, AC delco electric fuel pump # ep 382 $38.00
    I been happy with their service.

10. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Double check all your wiring before you go crackin' your tank open....might save you the nausciousness from the gas fumes. Trace all your wires that come from the pump, check for kinks, splits, squishes, or just plain unattached wires

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

AC Delco, fuel pump only: EP126. $62
    The Mexican made pumps from AutoZone...had 2 fail and got my money back.
    But what a WASTE of time.
    Put in AC Delco...no problems.

SteveB

12. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Did you fix the pump yet? Realsquash is right about the relay. It just went on my truck the other day and on my friends about a month ago. Much cheaper to check and fix the relay rather than the pump. Check the relay first. On my 87 it is mounted on the firewall near the center but more towards the passenger side. It has five wires going to it. I believe there is a red, tan, purple, black, and orange. There should be a red lead a few inches away hanging out of the harness that isn't plugged into anything. Take a wire and attach the red lead to the positive terminal on the battery and listen to see if the fuel pump comes on. If it does then its the relay thats bad. If not your dropping the tank. Do yourself a favor and spend the two minutes to check the relay first. Nothing would be worse than replacing the pump to find it still doesn't come on because of a $10 relay

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

It is the pump. I bought a new relay for a few bucks and still nothing happened. I dropped the tank yesterday in about 10 minutes. Don't ask me, I was just on a speed trip or something. At least now there's no point in stealing my truck. HAHA Now all I have to do is find a pump. I would really like the whole assembly, because my gas gauge stopped working again. Right now though, all I really want is the pump to get me going again. I have other ways of knowing how much gas I have. While the tank is out, I'm thinking about putting my 3" body lift on it. That would give me a 9" lift total, but I only have 35's. Thanks for your help guys. Later

Alex