Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump removal question (locking ring on a 1990 tbi).

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Sep 8, 2002.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I know you need you turn the locking ring counter-clockwise to get the pump out of the tank, but which ring is the one? There is the outermost ring which is slightly raised (not flush with the tank) and then there is a recessed inner ring that has grooves on the perimeter but no tabs that I can see. The outer ring seems to be fixed to the tank itself but I could be wrong. If it is the inner ring, what do you use besides a screwdriver to fit into the grooves? I know you are not supposed to use ferrous metal objects. Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not looking directly at one, so I can't be super precise on how everything is situated, but..

Yes, the outer ring is affixed to the tank. The piece that is fit under that, is what locks the sender in place. There IS at least ONE tab on that inner ring facing up, but personally, it bends too easy, and I use it only to start the locking ring moving. If you look at that "inner" ring, you will see "notches" cut in the edge that you can hit with a screwdriver blade/hammer to move.

Of course, if you are worried about sparks and explosions, use a brass drift instead of a steel screwdriver blade. IIRC, counterclockwise on that ring "unlocks" the sender.

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Yes, I did see (and bend) the one tab you refer to. Thanks alot for responding.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One thing I forgot to mention is, when trying to spin that lock ring, make sure to not use the same "notch" to pound on all the time, it drives the lock ring off center and makes it harder to move.

Now that I think about it, my sender has three of theertical tabs, but if trying to remove it by hitting those, you have to hit them right at the base where they turn up.