Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Pump Scare

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JAllen, Oct 22, 2000.

1. JAllen

JAllen Registered Member

Last spring one of the trucks on our expedition lost a fuel pump on the Mormon Hole-in-the Rock trail. I have a 91 Blazer and am having nightmares that this will happen to me one day. I've heard about making cutouts and removable covers on the back floor in order to get access to the fuel pump. I've also heard about auxillary fuel pumps but I'm not sure how these would work. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on these modifications? Would appreciate some advice.

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I second that ... plan to drive to AK.

Lost a fuel pump once ... just flat died. Was pretty close to home when it happened, so I was lucky.

Of course took it to a shop that sold me the gas (thought it was bad). Ended up with a lot of ignition work before they finally listened to me!

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

There is a guy in my club that runs a injected 350 in his `62 Willys wagon. He has an intank pump from the Camaro that gave up the motor. His emergency pump is from a Toyota (yeh, I know, but if it gets yer` butt home!). The toy unit is an inline style. He has it mounted on the frame about two foot from the tank. It is plumbed to a splice in the delivery line. The pump`s + line is wired in, but the - is left off and wiretied out of the way. Now if his intank fails on the trail all he needs to do is connect the negative side and the rig is ready to go. Don`t worry about the toy pump, it makes plenty 0` pressure for the big 8 banger. This is just a trail\emegency fix, but it has worked for a week and a half befor he could get to replace that damn intanker.