Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump wiring.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big'nBadK5, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

I just put in a purolator electric fuel pump from pepboys and i am trying to get a hot lead off the back of the fust block that is hot whenever the car is in the run posistion. i jsut have no idea what to splice it onto. anyone have a wiring diagram of that fuse block? or just a definate place to splice it onto? thanks.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just get out a test light and find something thats powered on when the key is turned on...maybe a/c or radio, install maybe a 5 or 10 amp bigger fuse and splice into it...you should be ok

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno what amp protection it needs, but if you tap into the *front* (cab side) of the fuse block there will be no splicing required, and it will be protected by a 30 amp circuit breaker. (which you can change to 10, 20, etc.)

That's my opinion of course, I'm not a fan of trying to track down bad electrical connections, or having them fail on me at the worst possible time. Besides, if for whatever reason you need to cut power to it, using a "stock" accessory plug is easy, and makes sense to locate it there. Just route the wire through one of the existing firewall grommets.

Being exposed to water, dirt, heat, etc., is hard on a connection, so in-cab is a better way to go anyways.