Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel pump with tbi?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, May 1, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

what type do i need? Need to do this on the cheap. I love my engine mounted pump, and an in tank pump is out of the question. What can i use?

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Fraid thats not going to be cheap. Holley has an external for $109.99 in jegs. BBK has one for $86.99, made for mustang applications.....can be retroed for you with a reg. ....you might want to call the local parts idiots and see if they have an external electrical pump that can get you to +45lbs psi and +75gph rate though.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

TBI does not require such high pressure. It only needs 11-13 psi at the throtle body. TPI does need high pressure though.

Rene

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Mine stummbled was anemic with pumps below 45psi. Could be due to the turbocity stuff, but even then. I did notice a drop off in upper level performance until I got the 60psi unit in. .....hmmmm wonder if its as stubborn as I am.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks guys. I took it into account made an offer on the rest of the system. Maybe I'll get it and then i'll be sloshin fuel no more.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Why not an in-tank pump? This way you can use a factory 87-91 tank, sender and pump from a junkyard (provided you have better luck than me in actually finding the parts). I like parts I can get at any parts store, not ones I need to order when I need a new one. If you look hard you can probably find the stuff you need for around $100 used.

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We just TBI'ed a 77. We put in the holly black body in line- bought it local from Chucks Speed and RV in Phoenix for $125. Two months later it is failing intermittently. We take it back to the shop and they tell us they (Holly) won't replace it without it being taken apart by them. So they send it back to Holly - three weeks later we are still waiting for a new pump. I called Arizona TPI and they said they won't sell Holly anymore as they get too many return. They sell Walbro only. Except they don't have any in stock - nobody does that I could find in Phoenix. So I find a walbro from Howell on the web for $95. I call them and they say it's only $95 on the Web - it's $125 if I order it on the phone. So I ordered one on their website and had it 6 days later. Still no word from Holly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.howell-efi.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi>http://www.howell-efi.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi</a>

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I have a rci aluminum fuel cell.