Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel pump woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My fuel pump (91 tbi) has kicked the bucket. Has anyone ever moved thier pump out of the tank? I would think it would be much easier to change. And is there anything I should look out for if I drop the tank?

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go buy a Delco pump, and worry about how "hard" it is to drop the tank at the next 100K mark. :)

3. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

im not sure about moving the pump but my advice is to have another person there. and we found that a transmission jack works pretty well because it has a large flat area to work with.if not we have made a regular floorjack work. i have now been involved in i think 4 of these replacements. and in one suburban the tank was about 3/4 full:doah: . but it doesnt take THAT long to do and it isnt all that hard. just have to do it.. and if im thinking right you got a wayy better deal than the newer trucks to where you can replace just the fuel pump instead of the whole sender assy.$$$$$$$$$$$.:eek1:

im sure its possible to move the pump if that is the route you want to take but as long as you buy a quality pump you shouldent need to change it for a long time..i just remembered the person above me said the same thing.so anyway. goodluck. -sam-

4. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

just reread the question... when dropping the tank its going to be hard to keep it steady..especially if it has any gas in it. when it starts to tilt all the gas will move and make it fall.(happend once:rolleyes: ) thats why its best to have someone else. but other than that just let it down a few inches and make sure you have everything unhooked. (fuelhoses wires etc) then you should be good to go.

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I guess I know what I'll be doing this week-end. BTW, I have a hitch, will it have to be removed for access?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't need to remove the hitch, but if you have a skidplate, it needs to come off. Do a search for gas tank removal/dropping posts, I've mentioned how to pull the skidplate pretty easily.

Save yourself further hassle by pulling the bumper.

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The fuel in the tank keeps the pump running cooler and lasting longer, I'd keep it there.
    Also, if you have alot of gas in the tank you might want to siphon it out.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

and it is much easyer to push than pull fuel from tank.

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

.....I'm thinking that he means useing another kind and style of pump all together. I had a Holley Red on the frame rail of my old crewcab pushing fuel to my big block. Mind you is was a carb, but It wouldn't matter if it was TBI or carb. Just make sure you're getting the right feed pressure, maybe you'd need a holley blue and regulator for TBI.